Ndumo
(.300 member)
21/04/09 11:04 PM
Re: When is a leopard a trophy?

This client hunted with us the previous year, and did not shoot a leopard, due to a number of factors. This included just plain bad luck, hounds chasing a leopard back to the park, the client cramping up and being unable to continue with a huge male leopard treed by the hounds, their agent booking them (against my judgement) on a 2x1 leopard hunt, etc. We also had a female leopard catching goats just about every second night, and he wanted to have a go at her, his partner (on the 2x1 hunt), who had first option, declined the female. So he had no problem with a female the previous year.
His agent and himself where full of the brown stuff because he did not get a shot at a cat, and did not want to pay a cent, not even dayfees. So they made the following deal with me at Reno-
He comes again, for free.
If he shoots a leopard, he only pays the normal trophy fee.
I do not know why I did it, but I agreed. So in effect, he paid (still waiting for the money BTW) only the trophy fee of one leopard, and no dayfees on 2 leopard hunts. (his friend did pay on the first hunt.)
Before the hunt, we clearly said to him it is a young male or a mature female. He was very happy with the hunt, and the cat, until we weighed it. Then it all of a sudden where not a trophy.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com