NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/01/03 11:20 PM
Re: What makes a safari better?

TimV

In reply to:

What is the crucial factors that makes a safari a never to be forget experience? Is it an exceptional trophy, or a quality stalk or what else?

Personally I go on safari for enjoyable hunting. That is the most important. I always like a balance of difficult hunts and some easier hunts. Makes a difference to most other hunts around the world where a high percentage are good hunting without result.

Trophies should be representative. I'm not worried about "bragging" heads. Not my scene at all. However if someone is charging me a lot of $$$ I'm also not interested in immature and sub-standard heads. So its a compromise.

In reply to:

What is the main purpose or goal of your safari?

Good enjoyable hunting.

In reply to:

What species are you most interested in?

First safari - kudu was my number one game animal. But also liked warthog. Also took wildebeest, impala, common duiker, zebra. Wanted also klipspringer but sighted a record class buck but didn't get a shot off. Also wanted Tsessebe but took a nice eland instead.

Second safari my main two animals were bushbuck and hartebeest in South Africa, and Buffalo, waterbuck and Sable in Zim.

Took a very nice bushbuck and hunted very hard for hartebeest. Had one or two possible opportunities but again not enough time for a shot. Thats how it goes. Missed a rep kudu and took a nice impala

In Zim did eventually get onto an old buff. Took a Waterbuck in the first morning and never saw a good Sable (Sable was added when we switched properties - quota was full at the first property). Also took two Zebra, an excellent Chobe bushbuck and another impala.

In reply to:

How much are you prepared to spend on a safari?

Really I think the prices are way too high and have been pushed up by the high US $. I don't remember seeing any pricess DROP when the US $ strengthened. Funny that.

For plains game safaries I thinkanything over US$250 per day is too much.

Some trophy fees are really ridiculous as well in US$. That's why I always take some impala and warthog and similar cheapies and limit the over-priced animals.

Also not all clients earn US $ and a lot of consideration should be taken of that.

I want a lot, don't I.

In reply to:

What is the most important item on a safari?

The total package. Good hunting. Good camp. Lots of fun.

I see someone mentioned they like tented camps. Tented camps for me personally are fine if out in the wilds, especially if there is a thatched roof for insulation. But if in a settled area nice rondavals etc with ensuite etc are great. Funny story. I hunted on a property once where they had a fantastic camp with top class rooms in their own rondavel. But their hunters wanted an "African" experience so they built a tented camp. Everyone to their own but I hunt pretty rough back home usually just a swag among the mosquitos and ants . So when I'm paying for it I want luxury

I must give a plug for BigFive's camp I just stayed in. It was easily the best camp so far. Fantastic food by a Hilton trained chef, excellent service - aways a couple of staff (nicknamed "those damn people" - a joke to be revealed) with cold drinks and warm moist towels waiting BEFORE you enter camp. Good wines (which I had to buy but that was OK as I went looking for wines to try being in that business). Nice lodges as well.

Those Damn People !!!

Tim

Sorry about the long reply. Good thread topic.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com