NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/02/04 09:50 AM
Re: Where to shot an Elephant

In reply to:

I also usually discuss the matter (before we go out) of back up and follow up shots with clients on all DG hunts. Most clients welcome the subject and some ask for help and some don't.

Steve

That is really good. I found it amazing on my first safari the PH never asked me one thing about where I was going to shoot the game (plains game). I had said I had hunted deer etc but for he knew I had never shot anything.

Actually when I purchased a copy of the African Hunter shot placement guide I was amazed that the heart of most African plains game is further forward. I have got used to shooting game just behind the shoulder to reduce venison waste and on African game was probably shooting a little too far back, still striking the lungs. When I should have shot them (most) straight through the shoulders and thereby getting the heart and centre of the lungs area. This is probably why some of my animals ran further than they ideally should before dying. And as someone once said, "Why worry about the meat on an African trophy hunt."

Again on cape buffalo I was never 'quizzed' at all on where I was planning to shoot it.

Of course some clients might get defensive but it probably could be done in a way that is casual.

I wonder if I was hunting elephant if most PHs would ask where I was going to shoot it, especially the brain and if I knew actually how to find it?

BUT for elephant I would be bringing up the topic definitely. There's no shame in it these days where a sporting hunter is lucky to take one, let alone several. I found it very useful to examine an elephant skull near the Zambezi River and another at the HHK camp at Matetsi. Very rewarding and hopefully could be put to use oneday.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com