Will
(.333 member)
25/02/04 06:22 AM
Re: Where to shot an Elephant

You would have to be standing right next to the elephant to tell whether a heart/lung shot was "good." And I'm not sure that it is possible at all.

Most PH's, and all I have encountered, will shoot if the thing doesn't drop from a brain shot, a near brain shot, or any other shot. I believe it is a fallacy to believe otherwise.

Luckily, I have only had a PH shoot once after my first shot (which was a heart/lung shot), but it was a screwup on my part so I deserved it.

I also believe it is a fallacy to think that you are going to track down a non-fatally wounded elephant, so therefore the PH should not shoot. It is not like any area is without boundaries. You wound an elephant non-fatally and it will haul ass, and just as likely cross the hunting boundary as not. Then you are screwed, along with the elephant.

And not to step on anyones toes, but when an elephant is brain shot, the elephant goes down fast, and there is no time for a heart/lung followup shot. A followup shot after it hits the earth, yes, but not before.

I wrote a long diatribe about this on AR. Could find it if you are interested.

Hell, if I was the PH I would shoot if the elephant didn't drop. Yeah, maybe the PH doesn't shoot on an impala, that you have to track down because the impala was only wounded, but elephants aren't impala.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com