szihn
(.400 member)
05/01/23 05:23 AM
Re: Is-the-25-06-the-most-under-appreciated-cartridge-ever??

I own one. I made it for a good friend years ago and when he was dying he gave it back to me. So it's a keepsake for me and I'll never sell it. I have killed a bunch of deer and antelope with it, and Bob killed a whole lot more of them before I got it back from him. A few kills with Remington 100 grain bullets and 2 with Speer 120 grain bullets didn't have exit wounds. But when used with 117 and 120 grain bullets of better construction I have dropped all my game and all have had through and through wounds with good sized exit holes.

Like many big game rifles with smaller bores, it benefits from well made bullets with thicker jackets and/or bonded construction. If good bullets are used I see nothing to gripe about with it, and it's very accurate. Swift, Nosler Partitions and all the bonded bullets all seem to give you it's full potential.

As was aid above it's one of about 1000 shells that work well.

If used with bullets that hold together its fine for all the uses I'd put it to. I will not hunt elk or moose with it because I don't have a reason to. I have rifles that shoot larger heavier bullets from .264 bore up to .423 bore, so there is nothing I feel I need to prove by hunting game about the 300 pound range with my 25-06.
Would it work for larger game? I am sure it would if everything was good for the shot. I know that because when I was a boy I worked at a slaughter house and we killed cattle with a 22 LR for a while. Later they start3ed using a 30 carbine and still later a kill hammer that took 38 cal blank shells.
But if I can (and I have) killed cows of 1400 pounds to 1800 pounds with a 22LR I am sure I can kill any land animal with a 25-06 if I can get the correct angle, including elephants. I know a few elephants have also been killed with a 22LR, but to me that don't prove anything we don't know already.

Overall I like the 25-06 and I have no complaints, but I also don't try to prove any points with it. I use it on game from 100 pounds up to about 300 pounds and if I know the game is (or may be) larger I grab a larger bore rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com