Ripp
(.577 member)
29/11/18 12:45 AM
Re: Can- the 264-Winchester-mag -rise-from-dead?? by Spoomer

Quote:

Comparisons between different calibres can be endless. Ballistical data comparisons using the same bullet weight are often not valid though. A 120 gr .264, a 120 gr .270, 120 gr 7mm, or 120 gr .30 is NOT the same performing bullet irrespective of velocity, or ballistics.

Exactly..can drive yourself mad reading all the data..

Having said that, competitive shooters shoot what they do for a reason..which is why the 6.5 calibers have become all the rage in the last 5-10 year period..that and the fact as Louis mentions, along with millions spent on marketing the new products to sell more new items that are basically doing much the same as they did 50-70 years ago..

However comparing ballistics, and this is off of Hornady's website on the hot "NEW" bullet promoted for hunting with the Heat Shield..

6.5mm .264"
143 gr .625 (G1) .315 (G7)

270 Cal. .277"
145 gr .536 (G1) .270 (G7)

Quite a difference in the BC between the 2 calibers despite being very close in grs of the bullet..

Finally, there is a ton of MISINFORMATION out there on the 264W...I was reading some blogs earlier when I googled this caliber..it is laughable some of the complete BS people put out there as fact...case in point, one blogger wrote, I hear you need a 26" barrel for a 6.5 bullet to perform..not mentioning anything about case capacity... pretty sure the 6.5 CM doesn't need a 26" barrel to perform..

Another misguided individual stated, well, I would choose a 270 as it has a larger selection of bullets that the 6.5 calibers do..really??? Have you been under a rock for the past 5 years??

All in all, none of this makes much difference if you are shooting 1 to 400 yards..its once you hit the 6-800 and more, the difference in drop will be more noticeable..IMHO and experience.. and where the .6.5 bullets start to really shine..

Louis is correct, economics is key to keep this cartridge alive.. it does appear, at least for the present time, it has had a renewed interest. For a true, long range, reach out and touch someone caliber for hunting, even with all the "new" hype..this old dog holds its own very favorably..in fact outshines many that are getting all the press by a substantial margin..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com