NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
11/09/16 07:16 AM
Re: Walnut blank/rifle stock advice.

Quote:

Hi Gryphon,
Ross Waghorn would have to be No1. He is at Dandenong or thereabouts I think. Gordon Cusens in Tasmania also does some nice work.
If you talk to these 2 guys, you will get a pretty good idea about what is required for the rifle you are building.
LesLeeSpeed

I always think buying the blank in person is far preferable to buying off photos from a website. As you say, Roger Vardy lives nearby so it is very easy for you. I spent an hour or two in one of his blank storage sheds, trying to find just the right stocks, and then asked Roger for advice on which of the selections was preferable. They were on for a long arm, and a couple for two piece stocks. Plus an earlier long arm stock I bought the year or two before.

I also used Ross Waghorn for the stock work. And he did an excellent job, ran through the options of what I liked and what he suggested. Draw up a drawing etc to pictorially show what he would be making. Forms part of the deal.

(The metal work, ie bolt handle change was done by Bob de Vries)

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=79782&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
Thread on the rifle.

Again, he isn't that far away so easy to deal with in person.

Roger Vardy has and is able to make a stock from his blanks, but I believe he said he doesn't do it usually. At the SHOT Show where I purchased the first blank, he called Ross Waghorn over to talk to me and I later met up with him.

I haven't used anyone else so can't comment on them.

The only thing I would change on the .30-06 stock is to make the forend a bit shorter perhaps. But that is how my preferences have changed over time, not what I ordered back then.

I used this rifle both times I visited you. So you have seen it.

(Have to retake these photos without those ugly bags ... )

Contact Us NitroExpress.com