Ripp
(.577 member)
22/05/14 11:39 PM
Re: What is the perfect hunting cartridge???

Quote:

Why not the 9,3x62, works good on both small and big animals????

Think that would be fine as well as I feel the 375H&H would also be a fine all around cartridge. My first hunt in Zim, I used the .416Rem for everything from duiker to eland..no problems...the little stuff had no more damage than if I had been using a 243..

As to penetration, for years a gun shop in Bozeman (Powder Horn) had a sheet of metal behind their desk shot twice..once with a .220 Swift the other with a 30-06..the swift went all the way through the 06 did not..does that mean I want to go hunt griz with a Swift?? while it can be done and I am sure has, don't think that is the prudent choice..

Favorite calibers?? Don't think I have just one...there are way too many good ones out there both old and new..my observations are that many who travel to Africa, Alaska or wherever are not prepared in many ways..physical conditioning, shooting ability, etc..Think some that hunt dangerous game are trying to prove something to either themselves or someone else but really don’t want to be there..so they but the biggest caliber they can find, it kicks the crap out of them so they don’t practice as much as they should..Others its ego, and they have to have the biggest, perhaps to compensate for something of theirs that is not??

Having said all that, for larger game taken are longer distances, I will still take a mag over a standard caliber given the choice. If that isn't for you fine, but for some it is..I find it interesting how many bombs are thrown by those who pound their chests about not ever having the "NEED" for a magnum cartridge or have ever used one for that matter..I have two things to say to that..first, NEED has nothing to do with it. Many years ago Montana didn’t have a speed limit other than "reasonable and prudent" for current road conditions...I could drive from border to border with a 1974 Ford Pinto or a 1993 Porsche Turbo..did I need the Porsche?? Hell no..was it more fun?? Don’t think I need to answer that one..

Secondly, if you have never used one how do you know. That's like a priest trying to tell you how to have sex..o.k., you got me there, they may have some experience, but in general, they have never so how in the hell can they be an expert on it???

Each to their own, but I enjoy them all..and will continue to do so..as often as time will allow..anywhere from my .470 Nitro to the 17HMR, 300RUM and back to the 303 British..

Have a great day...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com