Tatume
(.400 member)
03/12/08 09:29 AM
Re: The best rimfire bolt rifle?

Personoally, I don't like the Sako Quad. I'm sure it's a fine rifle, but the modernistic styling doesn't appeal to me. The previous Sako model was very nice, but by the time I had made up my mind to get one, they had been discontinued. A friend has two, and both are extremely accurate, small, and compact.

When I couldn't get the Sako, I looked into the Kimber. The rifle is a little bigger than the old-model Sako, but just as accurate. Mine routinely shoots 1/4-inch groups at 50 yards, although the average is about 1/2 inch. The wood is beautiful, so much so that a friend of mine bought one for looks alone. He had a small problem with his, and Kimber fixed it, provided a new stock in upgraded wood, and threw in an additional magazine. The problem was minor, so much so that I can't for the life of me remember what it was. His rifle also regularly shoots 1/4-inch groups, with about a 1/2-inch average. I vote for the Kimber as the best, current production, 22 long rifle hunting gun. It's also the prettiest.

Take care, Tom

Contact Us NitroExpress.com