Ripp
(.577 member)
14/07/08 11:02 PM
Re: Boddington on the .35 Whelen

I read with great interest the comments on the various calibers..and agree with the comments that there are too many NEW powders and bullets to make any broad based assessment on one calibers superiority over another based on muzzle energy and velocity. Personally, I feel muzzle energy does not give a very accurate read on the calibers ability nor its performance..If that was true, then a 22.250 is just as capable as a 30-06 for larger game based on muzzle enery..(merely an example)..

I was once a believer that speed and muzzle energy were key components to success...not so anymore..don't get me wrong..with the right bullets and conditions and depending on the game I hunt..I still reach for my custom rifles in .257 Weatherby or 300 Ultra-mag...as they are very flat shooter and if I can do my part...will take game past 400 yards easily...however, with all the muzzle energy the 300 Ultra produces ...it is a pretty small bullet when you have something like a hippo of elephant coming at you at less than 20 paces...even though it has about the same or more enery than a .375--as BigMax stated above,,,if me the .375....as has been very apparent to me on numerous species shot...frontal surface area and bullet construction are hugely more important than speed...

Just my opinion...

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com