eagle27
(.400 member)
31/07/14 05:21 PM
Re: Tipping in Australia

This is a hugely debated issue on hunting forums and surprisingly the 'inventors' of this custom, our American friends, are often at the forefront of questioning and bemoaning the practice, but in the end pay up. Obviously they come from a culture that has had the practice in existence for many years and probably just accept it in their own country without query but when the dollars start adding up on safari and every man and his dog lines up at the end of the safari for their little 'take', the reality hits home to many.

It seems that while tipping is said to be discretionary, in the safari industry it is openly discussed and advertised with expectations of the dollar value for each of the different participants in the hunt (they probably do have a recommended tip level for the camp mutt too). There would not be an advertisement around for hunting safaris where tipping is not mentioned.

Most in our society here in NZ, Oz and I understand, most European countries, do their job to the best of their ability and do not expect to be tipped for it. I have often asked the question - do those that support or at least perpetrate the practice and tip when on hunting safaris in any country also tip their doctor,dentist,lawyer,kids school teacher for doing a good job, mechanic fixing their car, the MacDonald's kid taking their order and delivering with a smile, the guy that comes around collecting their refuse and recycling, you bet your life they don't. They probably couldn't afford to go on safari if they tipped everyone in their life that performed a service for them.

I personally cannot stand the practice and find it ingratiating to the point of begging. Who do those in the safari business think they are to expect good fat tips for doing their job. I tire of those who make out it is discretionary, if it is then don't advertise it, don't mention it and don't damn well line up with your hand out for it.

There those are my thoughts.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com