Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores?
      #225 - 30/12/02 02:39 PM

Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores for hunting?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking recently about various Big Bores and their application for hunting. When the Nitro Express cartridges were first introduced they were revolutionary for their "astounding" high velocities, lighter jacketed bullets, and lesser recoil when fired, yet being more effective than the existing "bore" cartridges and other rounds.

The introduction of the .375 H&H Magnum likewise was a lightning bolt revolutionising the big game hunting scene.

In the last few years, many of the old cartridges have seen a resurgence of sorts, as it was realised that they strangely were STILL effective (after all the game animals haven't suddenly gained armour plate).

But in the last few years a raft of new cartridges has been introduced, the Remington Ultra Magnums, the Dakotas, many wildcats to add to the Weatherby big bore magnums.

All these cartridges push bullets at increased velocities for supposed increased effectiveness.

But is this the case? IMO the relevant points:

Has the design of premium big game bullets kept pace with the introduction of the ultra velocity big bore "magnums"? I do not believe so. There is a considerable amount of evidence that most or many premium bullets are most effective at a velocity of approximately 2,400 fps. Indeed many damgerous game bullets are designed to function the best at 2,000 to 2,400 fps. Pushing them faster may actually lessen performance.
When hunting dangerous game it is usually considered sensible to close the range to under 100 yards and ofte well less to 40 yards or less. Elephant are usually shot at these sorts of ranges by trophy hunters. So what benefit does the big bore shooter get by pushing their heavy to calibre bullet at an additional 200 to 600 fps?
Most people agree that increasing calibre size with the appropriate heavier bullet is more effective than pushing a bullet faster in the lighter calibre. The larger bullet will create a wider wound channel, and if of a suitable sectional density out-penetrate the smaller calibre especially if bone or heavy muscle is encountered.
The larger bore size is usually considered better if less than ideal shots are made - in "thumping" the large animal and stopping it or dropping it even if an killing shot is not made - the smaller calibre may appear to have little effect. The larger calibre if stopping the animal may allow time for a second killing shot.
If you take two rifles of different calibres - one say a 375 or 416 ultra velocity pushing a 300 gr or 400 gr bullet at higher velocity. The other a 458 or 500 pusing a 500 to 570 gr bullet at a more moderate velocity. If the recoil is similar, which would you prefer to have, and which is more effective in a dangerous game charge? Giving considertion to if recoil is similar both will have the same recoil recovery time.

Just some of my thoughts.

Does anyone agree or disagree with these comments or conclusions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."

http://NitroExpress.com

First Previous 2-12 of 12 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Here's some numbers on this issue

Cartridge
Bullet weight

grs
Velocity

fps
Recoil

Energy

ft lbs
Recoil

Velocity

fps

375 H&H Mag 300 2500 37 16
378 Wby Mag 300 2900 100 26
416 Rigby 400 2400 52 19
416 Dakota 400 2550 78 23
416 Wby Mag 400 2600 78 23
458 Lott 500 2300 74 22
460 Wby Mag 500 2600 116 28
500 Jeffrey 570 2300 96 25

This chart assumes representative propellant weights in grains and a constant rifle weight of 9.5 lbs.

As can be seen all the "standard" velocity cartridges recoil less than the "ultra velocity" cartridges. The exception being the 500 Jeffrey which is in a different class of calibre from the rest. It still recoils less than two of the "ultras".

From this chart it shows that one could choose a 378 Wby Mag and get the second highest recoil energy at 100 ft lbs and 26 fps recoil velocity. Or choose a 460 Wby Magnum and get a punishing 116 ft lbs of recoil energy and 28 fps of recol velocity.

Or choose a 500 Jeffrey with a .5 inch wide projectile, 570 grains in weight and yet have less recoil. 96 ft lbs of recoil energy and 25 fps recoil velocity. Slightly less than the 378. Yet a far more effective cartridge at dangerous game ranges.

Of course it is a personal choice. Different people want different things Also it can be a matter of what is available as well.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

oops

the 378 Wby Mag should have been 69 ft lbs and 22 fps.

The general principle remains the same.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

I have found nitro that the more speed ya have(in my case) does not make more accurate shooting.In my case biggest i shoot is the 4570,my 243's and 2506 ya have a blow up on twigs and such, ya can't see thru scope.What about leading up which happens at higher speeds more than not

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Hi Nitro,

I think most of the guys here knows what canon I shoot.And yes I know he is the worst of all.
But what is the energy on the 460 and on the 500 and on a 600.What is the price of a 460,500,600 and what does 20 rounds for each cost you.If you can afford it my friend go for it but it does get a bit pricy after a while.I got the kick yes but I have a bigger range of bullets to play with and the same or some places even more energy.But yes I also start to develop a involuntarily snees after the 4th or 5th shot.If a wounded buffalo with more blood in his eyes than coming out of his mouth charge you are you gonna worry to shoot this beast or worry how hard the rifle is going to kick you if you shoot the beast???????????????????????????????????
Just a small comment.

Redbeard,
I don't believe that any caliber will go trough bush or twigs or whatever.If they don't break up they will alter course in a way and even with a rifle that shoots a 300gr bullet at 1500fps will not hit the bull.If it does then your luck is out of this world.

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Yep but the rounds that are built for speed that I mentioned will do it more for ya.I feel more secure with my 4570 and 300 grain picking a small window through the brush than say the 2506 or my ground hog gun the 243

Recommend Delete Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

I agree with you Redbeard but still you can't really afford to hit anything except your initial target.A lot off hunters has the perception that if they have a big heavy caliber they can shoot the animal through the bush.If that was the case I could use my 460 on elephant standing at the other end of a Baobab tree????What a joke off course.I do most of my hunting with a 243 Brno and hunt in thinck bush 50% of the time.But I do make absolutely sure that my shot is clear.Even from grass!!

Recommend Delete Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

BigFive

Not having a go at you at all. I do know you shoot the big 460. I also know of quite a few other people that use a 460 and stayed at a farm in Zambia of a very prominent and respected PH who also uses a 460 Wby Mag.

I think the bigger slower calibre heavier bullets are more effective, but you are right that they do probably cost more and are hard to get (eg 510 s etc). And the cases are always special order if not custom made.

I also think that the bullet design themselves are lagging a bit behind cartridge and powder design. Afterall when the Nitro Express cartridges were introduced what would they have been without jacketed bullets?

No one could argue the 460 Wby Mag is not an effective DG stopper. Many PHs are now using the 458 Lott.

My argument was also say for the 378 Wby Mag, 375 RUM, 416 Ultra velocity rifles, the Dakotas etc. The argument is why? Why use a fast 375 when a hunter could shoot a 416 at a slower speed with similar or even less recoil and more effectiveness? Why not even just use the 375 H7H Mag when shooting a buff at 50 yards and acchieving full penetration, why use a 378 or 375 Dakota and hit a buff at the same distance several hundred fps faster?

Most ethical hunters shooting dangerous game will not shoot at longer ranges, thereby in my opinion, meaning ultra velocities are unnecessary. If shooting at plains game at longer ranges it might be a different story.

Just my opinion. And I want to have a shot or two out of your 460 soon.

Redbeard

I know there are a lot of fanatical 45/70 shooters out there and you're a dedicated one. It has a great reputation as a short to medium range brush calibre on medium sized game or larger game with careful shots. Throws a big hunk of lead out of the end.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

BigFive

A good point to a 460 Wby Mag is you can load your cartridge DOWN to 2400 fps (500 gr)

When many 458 Win Mags, Lotts, Watts will never make that velocity even if published stats claim they will.

Recommend Delete Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Besides most factory rounds are not loaded real hot any way

Recommend Delete Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

I hear what you guys are saying and I agree with you!The slower calibers is in some instances better.One of my favourites is the 9.3x62. and it has killed a lot of big stuff here in Africa.
The thing is that you should use a spesific caliber for a specific purpose.Don't try and stretch a caliber.You can shoot eland easy with a 30-06 but not so easy for the same sized cape buffalo.Why don't people hunt lion with a .243 or a 7x57 if a lion is a soft skinned animal?????????Not the right gun for the right animal!!!!!!!

Nevermind the caliber or penetration or velocity or all these othe things, the most important will always be your shot placement...................................

Bigfive

Recommend Delete Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I have a Ruger #1 in .45-70 and I shoot 350gr. Sierra HPs. I load them at 2350fps and they absolutely hammer deer and bear. Great load out to 100 yds. In MI where I live our shots are usually no longer than 60-70 yds. I notice in your discussions mention is made of the .458 Lott. Let me know what you think, but I think it goes a long way to correct the shortcomings of the .458Win cartridge. I see that Ruger is now chambering it in the M77 Express, and Hornady is now offering factory ammo in that caliber. Has anybody fired that caliber, how much more does it kick than a .458Win, or a .416? By the recoil table I see that it is almost double what a .416 kicks.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores? [Re: Prev_Forum]
      #1419 - 02/02/03 10:01 AM

In my opinion, there is no need for any bigbore that pushes a bullet of 300 grs, up, soft, or solid, faster than 2500 fps! Tests have been done that show there is a detramental effect on bullet performance when pushed at higher velocities, there is a window between 1900 fps, and 2550 fps where bullets work best on large animals! This fact is the reason the most successful cartridges since the 1890s till today, opperate within this window! You can't argue with success!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Edited by DUGABOY1 (02/02/03 10:02 AM)

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #1481 - 06/02/03 12:12 PM

Guys,

I don't know if there is a "need". It just depends how you define "need". I have just purchased a 375RemUltraMag. I almost bought the 375H&H but I settled on the Ultra basically because I like the 404Jeff case that it is based on. I'm a relative newcomer to reloading but it appears to me that this is an extremely versatile round and gives me the option of getting the most out of the 350gr Woodleighs and even the larger Rhino bullets if I so choose. Need? No, not really but I didn't need my 260Rem either. I didn't need the 338WinMag, etc., etc............if we didn't have this vast array of "stuff", it would be a boring world and we'd have little to talk about.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores? [Re: Prev_Forum]
      #1790 - 27/02/03 07:14 PM

I'll probably catch some grief for this, but my opinion is that when the "Super Magnum" craze started some years back, it caught on only because of the lack of true "hunting skills" posessed by the average hunter. They were, and continue to look for a crutch to help them overcome an inability to stalk properly. Many feel that a faster, more powerful calibre makes them a better hunter, when the opposite is true. IMO that the majority of hunter/shooters are neither capable or proficient enough to take advantage or the extra velocity offered by these "Super Magnums". What percentage of hunters are truely proficient enough to take a 300+ meter shot at a game animal? I'd wager that not more than 10% of them could tell you the wind drift of a 180 grain .30 calibre bullet, at 325 meters, with a 20 MPH crosswind. If you're sighted in 2" high at 100 meters with this bullet exiting the muzzle at 3100 FPS, and the same 20 MPH wind is directly in your face, what is the bullet drop at that range? I think most of us, myself included, need to spend as much time practicing getting closer to the game, as we do on the target range trying to shoot little groups on a sheet of paper. Just another A Hole with an opinion.

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
Re: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores? [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #1792 - 27/02/03 08:05 PM

Mike416Rigby,

I would basically agree with you and I don't take three hundred meter shots with a bigbore; to me that's a bit senseless. Three hundred with a medium is at my limit. I have just aquired a .375RUM and will use it for coastal brown bear hunting and will be handloading the 350gr.Woodleighs. More than likely, that's all I'll ever shoot with it or out of it. It will certainly be more efficient than the H&H with the heavy for caliber Woodleighs. A little extra grunt is comforting when you're in the alders and can smell one but can't see him yet. Hal Waugh, legendary Alaska Master Guide #1, used "Big Nan," his .375 WeatherbyMag to take many a brown bear and back up many a hunter. There's a place for these calibers and only the owner knows if he really has the ability to handle his choice or if he has the need for such. Until a person can consistantly "get close" to take big game, especially DG,(you want to see someone catch grief?)I think that person is a shooter, not a hunter. By the way, I think the .416Rigby is a great caliber. I had looked at a CZ in .416Riby but it came down to economics and finish(ridiculously low price-stainless for the AK Peninsula weather). I'm having some action work done now, just ordered the scope(again), and waiting on the brass. Hope to have it all together and shooting in a couple of weeks. Should be fun!

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Is there a need for "high velocity" big bores? [Re: ovis]
      #1867 - 03/03/03 08:47 PM

Hi guys,

I use a 460 WBY MAG for all my back-ups with clients and big game hunting.This is probably the most and biggest wild cat of all the big bores???
I don't think that it makes any differance to a hunters skills or changes his skill in using one of these type of calibers.It does'nt say that if you own one of these you can only shoot 300m and not 50m.Personally I think anybody who shoots longer than 200m on any animal is taking chances and on bigger it is really silly and rather stupid to do something like that.I can handle my 460 as any other person can handle a 375 and I still try and get in as close as possible.And I promise you that if there is a charging elephant or a buffalo in front of me there is very little that i'll swop for my 460.There is a place for any calibre in hunting but we don't have place for any hunter.Very little has to do with the rifle or caliber but the most important is the hunter and unfortunatly there is people that use these wild cats wrong and in the process give the rifles and calibers wrong names.

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3847

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com