Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Indy
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/04
Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes
      #80199 - 09/06/07 03:04 AM

I am debating whether to use 450 grain North Fork solids or 450 grain Barnes solids on an elephant hunt.

"Everybody" says that the North Forks (which look just like G.S.) will penetrate deeper than round nose solids because of their flat point. However, "everybody" does not include Kevin Robertson, who says just the opposite in his book.

Moreover, this North Fork flat point measures about 8mm. While the Barnes monolithic looks more round, it too has a flat point, on the end of its round nose, that mesures about 7mm in diameter. Both bullets have a shoulder like a wadcutter. Barnes solids are easier to load because they have wider (and fewer) crimping grooves. Both shoot equally well in my rifle and get in the 2250--2300 fps range, with Barnes a mite faster. I have heard this is because Barnes solids are a bit undersize.

Since I am, so far, a shooter of paper only with big bores, any experiences would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes [Re: Indy]
      #80204 - 09/06/07 04:06 AM

I am using the relatively new Barnes Banded Solids because of the flat point design, which the Oldtimers from the black powder era approved. The stated they stay on course better than any other design. Besides the accuracy I get with Barnes Banded Solids with my rifle is just perfect, so why should I try something else ?
On the other side I am a big fan of Dr. Robertson and obviously he has a wealth of experience with bullet performance, more than I will ever get in my life.
Anybody interested in terminal ballistics will find this website worth reading: http://www.grosswildjagd.de/english1.htm

Kalunga

If You are going to make a hole in an animal, it`s got to be a hole to remember !

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes [Re: Kalunga]
      #80241 - 09/06/07 11:46 AM

Kalunga: Ausgezeichnete website und vielen dank für Seine Post. Ich möchte mehr daßelbe!! {Entschuldigen Sie mir für meine 28 jahre alte "Hoch Schule" Deutsche!} This stuff as presented in the penetration test is quite fascinating to me. Elsewhere on this site I have posted a host of tests I have performed with a similar setup. It works quite well with softpoint ammo but I have never tried solids.

I posted elsewhere my interest in seeing a standardized "Dangerous Game Ballistic Media" established here whereby shooters could assist each other the world over in choosing bullets for various Big Game. It need not be set up to duplicate an elephant's head, but if a bullet of known excellent performance could be compared to an unknown bullet, the results might help a guy like Indy out.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes [Re: 9.3x57]
      #80282 - 10/06/07 12:11 PM

The rounded nose of the Barnes tends to defeat the added penetration benefits of a flat nose. The best penetrating flat nose is a frusto-conical design, like North Fork or GS Custom.

Also the Barnes is not a true driving band design, so you will get lower pressure and less fouling from the NF.

Indy
.224 member

Reged: 23/04/04
Re: Solids: North Fork vs. Barnes [Re: 500grains]
      #80311 - 11/06/07 06:59 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Those here (and elsewhere) who have actually hunted witih solids seem to favor the North Fork more than the Barnes. This is corroborated by the link Kalunga posted, which describes results with various shapes. So...that's what I am going to do.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2121

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com