Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Nyati50
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/12
Loc: PA, USA
choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo
      #205621 - 21/03/12 03:23 AM

I would like to book a hunt for Cape Buffalo and perhaps hippo. I am new to this game, but have always wanted to hunt Africa and now I want to make it a reality. I have devoted my life to studying Africa's flora and fauna and have amassed quite a collection of primarily African caliber rifles that I have shot religiously for almost 40 years. It is now time to "get off the pot" and actually make the hunt happen. I am in the process of purchasing a double as I have always envisioned myself doing this with a double. I have more than enough bolt guns in calibers 9.3x62mm through .458 Lott. I also have a nice Ruger Number 1 in .450/400 Nitro that I am getting good results from, but I am about to purchase a .500 Nitro double. My question, since I am not even a rookie yet, is who would be a great PH. I have had correspondence with Mark Sullivan for many years. I know some on this forum don't particularly like Mark, but I have a good relationship with him. I have talked with other PHs and unfortunately Jan Swart got himself into a pickle with a few leopards so I have ruled him out. We used to correspond frequently. My primary concern is a hunt for Cape Buffalo. I am not interested in "sniping" a Cape Buffalo. While I am not looking for a charge, I certainly want a "fair chase" hunt and do not want a 50 or 60 yard shot. I shoot well, but prefer to get as close as is prudent. I deer and bear hunt that way. I never use blinds or tree stands for anything in the States and prefer to do it the old fashion way of stalking. I understand that much of Africa's game has become wary due to hunting pressure, but I feel I would rather come home empty-handed than to "snipe" something at a distance. I would also contemplate a hippo (on land if possible). Again, I am a pre-rookie at African hunting, but just don't view hippos in water as all that sporting. I understand that my thinking may be naive, therefore I am appealing to those here that are experienced. I am only going to be able to afford Africa once and want to experience the "romance" as much as possible in what is left of Africa. I would like a first rate PH who would guarantee that I see game only. No guarantees for actually connecting. Again, I want to do it my way as I am footing the bill. The experience is the "jag" for me. The killing has always been anti-climatic, but I am willing to end it with a killing shot to clear this "African thing" out of my veins. I love Africa and have devoured Capstick, Hemmingway, Ruark, Taylor,Roosevelt, Lyall, Patterson,Von Blixen, on and on. I have fooled with large caliber rifles for most of my life starting as a pre-teen. It is now time to do this in the autumn of my life. I am asking the experienced here for any help or direction to a reputable professional hunter. Obviously I would like to afford a 1x1 hunt, but would entertain a 2x1 if I could not afford to have a PH all to myself. I am so much of a rookie, I am not even sure what country is safe at this very minute as things change rapidly. In the immortal words of Leonardo DeCaprio in Blood Diamond, T.I.A. (this is Afica). Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Nyati50 (Michael)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo [Re: Nyati50]
      #205634 - 21/03/12 05:33 AM

I spoke with Mark Sullivan at some length at this year's Harrisburg Sportsman's Show, and came away rather impressed with him. I believe him to be a very, very intensly focused P.H., who knows and fully understands his quarry. I'd have no qualms at all about hunting with Mark.

It's a shame that Jan Swart got involved in that Leopard mess. I hunted with Jan a few years before his arrest. I , and took some wonderful trophies. I really like the man and would have hunted Buffalo with him. It's a shame he chose to walk a crooked path.

Nyati50
.224 member

Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #205637 - 21/03/12 06:13 AM

I like Jan and his wife. I knew I should have gone to the Harrisburg show this year. I usually go, but got side-tracked. I spoke to Mark in December. I really like Mark and have most, if not all, of his hunting videos. There has been considerable banter about him encouraging his clients to shoot to wound game so that he can instigate and film charges. Of course that is absurd. I know Mark and he is a master at marketing himself, but to accuse him of no scruples is slanderous. No one would bite the hand that feeds him and he would not do unethical things on camera or otherwise. Mark conducts many hunts and certainly not every animal charges. His videos are but a representation of some of his hunts. Should I decide to hunt with Mark (probably will), I certainly am not interested in being filmed and no one, absolutely no one could convince me to shoot to wound and animal. It just isn't done. I feel badly that Jan was talked into the leopard thing. I am sure he got caught-up in the moment trying to please clients and strayed a bit. I am not excusing him. Sometimes good people do things that are not so good. We have all had a lapse in judgement. It is most unfortunate that Jan strayed as it has hurt his reputation. We all say things like "that is not his character", but we must realize that maybe that was not in character for Jan, but it was certainly "part of his character". After all, we never do anything totally "out-of-character" because we can't separate ourselves from our self. I will chalk it up as a lapse in judgement. Mark has been accused of ridiculous things. A fool he is not and if he was so immoral or illegal, he would certainly have lost his PH credentials. It is sad that he was ban from SCI, but that is just a "big boy club" and he will survive. I am sure you all remember the beating Peter Capstick took when he passed away. Some awful dreadful things were said about him. If one has read his library, one can easily see that he never claimed to be the subject of many of the stories in his writings and honestly, all of us embellish from time-to-time. It comes with the gender. I really want input about options for a hunt for Cape Buffalo and Hippo. Mark is my first choice, but I have an open mind and am less than a rookie. I only claim to be very experienced at shooting great big holes in paper with great big guns. I have been an avid hunter all of my life, but have never been to Africa. I have longed for that experience since watching Ramar of the Jungle as a child and watching the movie Hatari with John Wayne. I know I am dating myself, but it is what it is. I am an older guy with a need to do Africa the way I want; a .500 Nitro double and a good PH with plenty of stories. I want to see plenty of game and maybe even shoot a buff and a hippo. I will at least give it my best shot.

Nyati50

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
Loc: Texas
      #205640 - 21/03/12 06:40 AM

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I am sure that there are many qualified outfitters who can do a great job for you. You will probably get more feedback than you can assimilate all at once, but my advice would be to read them all, make your own interpretations, and if you are not planning on hunting this year necessarily, then attend the Dallas Safari Club or SCI convention next January and meet some of the individuals in person.

That being said, I have been to Africa four times, twice for buffalo, and am returning to Zimbabwe this July. After being self-employed for the better part of my adult life, I am not always an easy customer, so it means a lot when I recommend Richard Cooke. Richard and his wife Belinda operate Richard Cooke Safaris out of Victoria Falls. I would highly recommend that whomever you hunt with you hunt for dangerous game in Zimbabwe.

You can read my report from my hunt with him in 2008 in the African hunting forum, as well as the story that I wrote about it.

I hunt with a double with open sites. You will not get as many opportunities this way, but when you do they will be that much more exciting.

Good luck,

Edward

Nyati50
.224 member

Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo [Re: Cazadero]
      #205645 - 21/03/12 07:28 AM

Edward,

Thank you for the kind welcome and encouraging words. I have never hunted Africa but have wanted to all of my life. I have been infatuated with that continent since early elementary school. I have been a student of rifles and reloading since the tender age of 9. I received my first shotgun and rifle at the age of 8. I got my first .458 while still in undergraduate school in the early 1970s. I will take your advice as I want to hear from people who have actually done the hunting. There are armchair adventurer all over. I have always done things on the cutting edge (race motorcycles, surfed in hurricanes, climbed mountains, etc.) You have actually hunted Africa the way I want to hunt; with a double in my hands. I don't care about having to pass-up shots because I am not using a scoped rifle. I have plenty of bolt guns with scopes (.375s, the .416 Rigby is scoped, etc.) but I want to do it with a double and iron sights. My eyes are still good enough that I shoot well with iron sights. I shoot combat pistol with 1911s and have no problem and I shoot the .458 Lott with open sights so I don't feel I will be at a disadvantage. Maybe not make the long shots, but that is not what I want to do anyway. I don't wish to snipe. I will check into your PH and will not be going this year and might not for two years as I need to get some things sorted-out first and that includes the double. I want to get familiar with that platform. I have never shot a double rifle. I have owned double shotguns, but never a double rifle. I want to do it my way and my way is with the double. Again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to any and all input from those who have done the hunt.

Michael

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#205670 - 21/03/12 03:55 PM

Michael: where in PA do you live? Your IP address tells me you're near the Lehigh Valley. I'm just outside of Pottstown, near Douglassville, only 20-25 minutes from Emmaus.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #205674 - 21/03/12 04:15 PM

My recommendations for great PHs for your desired game the Buffalo and Hippo "up close".
Stu Taylor or Johnnie Johnson of www.kambakosafaris.com in Northern Mozambique (Niassa Reserve).
Jonnathon Taylor of "ABC" www.africanbushcompany.com of Tanzania (Selous Reserve).
Lindon Stanton of www.mbalablasafaris.com for Zimbabwe (Zambezi Valley).
Allan Shearing of Charlton McCallum Safaris for Zimbabwe (Zambezi Valley).
Derk Mossert of www.chifutisafaris.com for Zimbabwe (Zambezi Valley).
Andy Hunter Zimbabwe (Zambezi Valley).

Nyati50
.224 member

Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo [Re: ozhunter]
      #205696 - 22/03/12 01:01 AM

Mikeh416Rigby,

I live right outside of Sunbury, PA. (the confluence of the two branches of the Susquehanna River). I have been contemplating an African hunt since I was a little boy. I began shooting and hunting at an early age, but developed an attraction to shooting large caliber rifles while in high school and actually bought my first big bore rifle when I was still in undergraduate school. It was a Ruger .458 Win. Magnum in a gorgeous Circassian Walnut stock. Unfortunately that gun is gone as are many. I have had at least a dozen .375 H&H rifles, .458s, etc. Currently I have a German Type A 9.3x62mm Mauser that actually came from Africa in the sixties. I have several .375 H&Hs, a .450/400 Nitro Express 3" Ruger Number One, a Ruger Magnum .416 Rigby, a couple of .458s and a custom built .458 Lott. I am soon to be the owner of a .500 Nitro Express double, but have not "pulled the trigger" on the gun just yet as I am looking at my options. I wish to hunt cape buffalo and perhaps hippo in the next two years and want to do it with a double. In the meantime, I continue to practice shooting with the large bores (have been doing that for 40 years) so it is time to get this "show on the road".

If you are ever in the area, give notice.

Nyati50 (Michael)

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

#205697 - 22/03/12 01:37 AM

Quote:

Mikeh416Rigby,

I live right outside of Sunbury, PA. (the confluence of the two branches of the Susquehanna River). I have been contemplating an African hunt since I was a little boy. I began shooting and hunting at an early age, but developed an attraction to shooting large caliber rifles while in high school and actually bought my first big bore rifle when I was still in undergraduate school. It was a Ruger .458 Win. Magnum in a gorgeous Circassian Walnut stock. Unfortunately that gun is gone as are many. I have had at least a dozen .375 H&H rifles, .458s, etc. Currently I have a German Type A 9.3x62mm Mauser that actually came from Africa in the sixties. I have several .375 H&Hs, a .450/400 Nitro Express 3" Ruger Number One, a Ruger Magnum .416 Rigby, a couple of .458s and a custom built .458 Lott. I am soon to be the owner of a .500 Nitro Express double, but have not "pulled the trigger" on the gun just yet as I am looking at my options. I wish to hunt cape buffalo and perhaps hippo in the next two years and want to do it with a double. In the meantime, I continue to practice shooting with the large bores (have been doing that for 40 years) so it is time to get this "show on the road".

If you are ever in the area, give notice.

Nyati50 (Michael)

A friend who does my reloading, is originally from just outside of Shikshinney (sp). My sister-in-law's husband works at the power plant in Sunbury, and they live in Elysburg.

Nyati50
.224 member

#205700 - 22/03/12 02:32 AM

Very small world indeed. I see by your user name you have been bitten by the .416 Rigby bug also. I cannot imagine how I survived without one all these years. My wife bought me a Ruger Magnum 77 shortly after they came out in .416 Rigby. I love the caliber and love the gun. In my humble opinion (never have hunted Africa), it is the ultimate rifle. The .416 caliber projectile penetrates like no tomorrow and loading a 350 grain projectile or even a bit lighter makes in incredible plains game rifle. Very flat shooting and with that big case and slow burning powder, I can tread right on the heals of the "viceroy of velocity", Roy Weatherby and his .416 Weatherby Magnum. All that velocity is not necessary, but if I would desire, I could come very close. Actually the original factory load with the 400 grain is about right in the Rigby and there is absolutely no pressure evident with that huge case. The other .416s can come close, but at the price of much higher pressure. I instantly didn't care for the .416 Remington and the .416 Ruger is interesting, but redundant and I don't "short stroke" the magnum action so I am not worried about keeping the cartridge case to only 2 1/2 inches. Love the .40 caliber guns and really like my .450/400 3" so much that I may just consider a .404 Jeff in a CZ.

Michael

Fjold
.275 member

Reged: 28/06/11
Loc: Bakersfield, CA, USA
      #205717 - 22/03/12 09:10 AM

I can recommend Martin Pieters in Zimbabawe. His Omay concessions have a lot of buffalo on them and I saw a lot of Hippo also. Right now Martin is offering 7 day buff hunts for $9,000 and you can add on days for hippo.

--------------------
Frank

Bader
.224 member

Reged: 25/02/12
Loc: Germany
Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo [Re: Fjold]
      #205953 - 25/03/12 06:51 PM

My tipp (to make an long story short:
MARK SULLIVAN !!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3663

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com