Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Nyati50
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/12
Loc: PA, USA
choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo
      21/03/12 03:23 AM

I would like to book a hunt for Cape Buffalo and perhaps hippo. I am new to this game, but have always wanted to hunt Africa and now I want to make it a reality. I have devoted my life to studying Africa's flora and fauna and have amassed quite a collection of primarily African caliber rifles that I have shot religiously for almost 40 years. It is now time to "get off the pot" and actually make the hunt happen. I am in the process of purchasing a double as I have always envisioned myself doing this with a double. I have more than enough bolt guns in calibers 9.3x62mm through .458 Lott. I also have a nice Ruger Number 1 in .450/400 Nitro that I am getting good results from, but I am about to purchase a .500 Nitro double. My question, since I am not even a rookie yet, is who would be a great PH. I have had correspondence with Mark Sullivan for many years. I know some on this forum don't particularly like Mark, but I have a good relationship with him. I have talked with other PHs and unfortunately Jan Swart got himself into a pickle with a few leopards so I have ruled him out. We used to correspond frequently. My primary concern is a hunt for Cape Buffalo. I am not interested in "sniping" a Cape Buffalo. While I am not looking for a charge, I certainly want a "fair chase" hunt and do not want a 50 or 60 yard shot. I shoot well, but prefer to get as close as is prudent. I deer and bear hunt that way. I never use blinds or tree stands for anything in the States and prefer to do it the old fashion way of stalking. I understand that much of Africa's game has become wary due to hunting pressure, but I feel I would rather come home empty-handed than to "snipe" something at a distance. I would also contemplate a hippo (on land if possible). Again, I am a pre-rookie at African hunting, but just don't view hippos in water as all that sporting. I understand that my thinking may be naive, therefore I am appealing to those here that are experienced. I am only going to be able to afford Africa once and want to experience the "romance" as much as possible in what is left of Africa. I would like a first rate PH who would guarantee that I see game only. No guarantees for actually connecting. Again, I want to do it my way as I am footing the bill. The experience is the "jag" for me. The killing has always been anti-climatic, but I am willing to end it with a killing shot to clear this "African thing" out of my veins. I love Africa and have devoured Capstick, Hemmingway, Ruark, Taylor,Roosevelt, Lyall, Patterson,Von Blixen, on and on. I have fooled with large caliber rifles for most of my life starting as a pre-teen. It is now time to do this in the autumn of my life. I am asking the experienced here for any help or direction to a reputable professional hunter. Obviously I would like to afford a 1x1 hunt, but would entertain a 2x1 if I could not afford to have a PH all to myself. I am so much of a rookie, I am not even sure what country is safe at this very minute as things change rapidly. In the immortal words of Leonardo DeCaprio in Blood Diamond, T.I.A. (this is Afica). Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Nyati50 (Michael)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Nyati50 21/03/12 03:23 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo mikeh416Rigby   21/03/12 05:33 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Nyati50   21/03/12 06:13 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Cazadero   21/03/12 06:40 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Nyati50   21/03/12 07:28 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo mikeh416Rigby   21/03/12 03:55 PM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo ozhunter   21/03/12 04:15 PM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Nyati50   22/03/12 01:01 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo mikeh416Rigby   22/03/12 01:37 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Nyati50   22/03/12 02:32 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Fjold   22/03/12 09:10 AM
. * * Re: choosing a PH for Cape Buffalo and Hippo Bader   25/03/12 06:51 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3665

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com