Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

unspellable
.300 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Loc: Iowa
Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double?
      21/12/07 09:31 AM

While there is some debate as to whether a doll's head or third bite is needed or not, the legitimate debate revolves around the questiuon of whether or not the action has adequate strength without it. The part that is not in question is whether or not the doll's head will stiffen the action.

A well fitted doll's head WITHOUT a third bite (As I've seen on a Jeffery) will tie the breach to the face. Under firing stress the barrels tend to rotate around a different center than when opening the action. Thus, the doll's head grips even without a bite. I have seen some excellent diagrams to illustrate how this works.

Also consider those shotguns that lack what we usually think of as the first two bites and have only what we usually think of as a third bite. Obviously, if a third bite did nothing, they would fly apart on firing.

The caveat for any of the three bites is that they must be well fitted. If not, the load will not be shared among the three and at least one will be doing nothing. (Something I have suspected is the case with some cheap shotguns I've seen with three bites.)

Greener was never afraid to blow his own horn and had a very good demonstration of how his cross bolt type third bite stiffened the action.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? hoppdoc 09/12/07 05:32 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? DarylS   09/12/07 06:07 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? doubleriflejack   20/12/07 06:00 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? unspellable   21/12/07 09:31 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? Bramble   21/12/07 11:44 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? 400NitroExpress   09/12/07 07:52 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? Ripp   09/12/07 10:13 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? Nakihunter   09/12/07 06:25 PM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? hoppdoc   09/12/07 08:59 AM
. * * Re: Dolls Head 3rd BIte on a WR Double? AkMike   09/12/07 06:44 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2132

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com