Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope Installation charges

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

dnovo
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/05
Loc: Chicago & SE Wisconsin
Scope Installation charges
      18/06/07 10:55 PM

In a thread a few weeeks ago, a new owner of a Krieghoff had been quoted about $1700 to install mounts for a scope on a 500/416. I thought that was a bit extreme. I had the chance to purchase a Merkel 160A sidelock, with very nice custom engraving (ex-show gun) from Merkel USA and wanted a mount for a 1.5-5 Luepold installed. I shipped them the scope and they supplied the bases and swing mount for the scope. The charge for installation, which included making sure it was properly regulated -- so it included the cost of the ammo to sight in -- was $600.

I have never had any issues with paying a good gunsmith who knows what he is doing a reasonable price for that work. I had the gun out to the range at it regulates perfectly at the requested 50yd distance, with the scope going on and off very smoothly. (The gun is a joy as well, lovely wood, very nice engraving, and smooth and consistent trigger action from the Merkel sidelock.) So I feel it was $600 well spent.

Perhaps some companies just like to soak their customers, under the theory that if you can buy a gun that costs more than many entry level cars, you will not blink at paying outrageous sums for work or accessories on your double. And perhaps that is why I do not own a current Krieghoff.

(And before you say why a scope on a 500, I can shot with or without, but a low powered scope is quite nice for elderly eyes -- read my signature.)

Dave

--------------------
Time Wounds All Heels

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scope Installation charges dnovo 18/06/07 10:55 PM
. * * Re: Scope Installation charges Ripp   18/06/07 11:07 PM
. * * Re: Scope Installation charges dnovo   18/06/07 11:14 PM
. * * Re: Scope Installation charges 9.3x57   19/06/07 02:25 AM
. * * Re: Scope Installation charges Ripp   19/06/07 11:29 AM
. * * Re: Scope Installation charges 500Nitro   18/06/07 11:01 PM

Extra information
2 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1569

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com