Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bear...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Bear...
      18/03/07 08:48 AM

The Black bears are just about anywhere you want to find them. Of course, if you are looking for "book" bears, Southeast Islands are probably the best place to look. The black bears and browns are just hammering our ungulate populations and sport harvest can't keep up. We've gone to multiple harvest in some units, even allowed baiting of browns in some units (been illegal for years until now). There have proposals in recent years that have been seriously considered to open select units for unguided non-resident hunts for browns, or at least guided by any resident, not necessarily licensed guides. But only in select units. Those proposals have not passed, however. For them to even been given consideration tells me how serious the population issue, or at least the preception of the issue, is.

It could be that we just have more and more hunters competing for the same resource as an increasing number of predators (not necessarily an unbalanced increased number of 4 legged predators). We have had two more sheep subunits to go to a drawing permit system, which is not good, I fear.

I can do a little more research for units needing management bears taken out if you are looking for a wilderness experience type hunt without need for a book bear. It could probably be done fairly inexpensively after you get here, though. If you are looking for a bear with a big noggin that will book, it will be more expensive and will probably require a charter flight or charter boat ride somewhere. There will also be others going after the same thing.

Let me know where your interests might be and I'll do some digging around.

Dave

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Bear... AspenHill 16/03/07 01:56 AM
. * * Re: Bear... mikeh416Rigby   16/03/07 12:37 PM
. * * Re: Bear... AspenHill   16/03/07 11:46 PM
. * * Re: Bear... DPhillips   17/03/07 06:51 PM
. * * Re: Bear... AspenHill   18/03/07 12:28 AM
. * * Re: Bear... DPhillips   18/03/07 08:48 AM
. * * Re: Bear... NitroXAdministrator   17/03/07 01:54 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1490

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com