Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sporting kangaroo hunting ???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Sporting kangaroo hunting ???
      22/01/04 08:02 PM

I received an email from an overseas hunter visiting Australia who is interested in hunting or joining in a hunt for roos while in Australia.

I have previously been told it is now possible to hunt recreationally kangaroos in Queensland but do not know the mechanism involved. I remember a permit allowed four roos to be taken.

From a simple search using Google I found the following:

In reply to:

Queensland

Kangaroos in Queensland are classified as protected animals under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. The harvesting of 4 species of kangaroos is conducted in accordance with the Nature Conservation (Macropod Harvesting) Conservation Plan 1994. This subordinate legislation provides for the ecologically sustainable taking and use of macropods as a renewable resource.

The commercial harvesting of macropods is only permitted by licensed operators during declared harvest periods. Harvest periods are a legislative mechanism used to control commercial harvesting. Licenses can be issued for both commercial or recreational purposes. Damage mitigation permits may also be issued to landholders. All kangaroos taken under a commercial or recreational license in Queensland must be tagged using self-locking numbered plastic tags. Accurate reporting of the kangaroo take is a requirement of all license or permit holders.

Annual quotas specify the maximum number of each species that may be taken. These quotas are set conservatively and provide a safeguard against overharvesting.

The monitoring of kangaroos in Queensland is based on annual broadscale helicopter and ground surveys. Given the large size of the commercial harvest zone in Queensland, helicopter surveys are based on a sampling regime from representative areas. Information from these surveys and from the monitoring of harvest statistics (weight of carcasses, skin size and sex) is used as an indication of population trends. Trends are collated regularly for species on a grid square (half degree blocks), shire and biogeographic regional basis.

The Department of Environment can restrict or prevent harvesters from operating in specific properties, or shire areas. Queensland has also introduced size and weight limits to prevent overharvesting of small animals. In addition, the Minister for Environment may (in specified circumstances of high skin-only harvesting) assign 45% of the allocated quota for each of the three major species (red kangaroo; eastern grey kangaroo; wallaroo) to carcass harvesting.

Should the harvest for an individual species approach the quota, the harvest period can be closed across the State, ensuring quota overruns are avoided.

Can anyone shed more light on buying kangaroo permits in Queensland for recreational pruposes? Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? NitroXAdministrator 22/01/04 08:02 PM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? NitroXAdministrator   22/01/04 08:08 PM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? Boghossian   24/01/04 01:22 AM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? gryphon   24/01/04 06:50 AM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? 4seventy   24/01/04 11:18 AM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? 416SW   24/01/04 11:14 AM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? gryphon   24/01/04 11:19 AM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? NitroXAdministrator   24/01/04 12:14 PM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? Far_Canel   24/01/04 10:37 PM
. * * Re: Sporting kangaroo hunting ??? NitroXAdministrator   24/01/04 11:12 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5223

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com