Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM??
      23/03/06 10:50 PM

Thanks all for the info, advice, and insights from actual african hunting experience. Discussing African bullet choice can be critical !! Inferior bullets will ruin a hunt!! African animals have a deserved tough rep.

My bullet experience is limited to US big game but is interesting. My good freind Bob has hunted used different bullets with different results as well. Not extensive experience at all but interesting.

I have primarily used the Nosler Partition/Barnes X bullets in the past and they have been great on deer , elk, and moose with the NP loosing a signifigant portion of weight after impact(non bonded) and the X bullet tissue destruction being devastating with mostly complete penetration but loosing some petals retained in the large animals. My hunting buddies failsafes were very accurate but he never recovered one as they penetrated completely like a FMJ or solid. The wound channels just didn't seem to open up like the X bullets and the animals weren't as impressed with the hit as with his current bullet.He now uses the Nosler Accubond bullets in his 300 Mag.

Swift A frames are great and hit big bear like a jackhammer.They are bonded and very accurate in my 338.I prefer them over the NP because of the bonding/weight retention but Dead is Dead and the NP has worked great in my 300 mags.

African game is "tough" by reputation and I am leaning toward Barnes new MRX bullet for accuracy, expansion, and deep penetration in the 300 Mag.It has their copper X tip with a polymer insert and the rear of the failsafe/Swift A Frame/NP bullets with a tunsten insert. Their bullet promo stuff says the bullet rearward balance helps long range accuracy. We'll see. On the 338 I would just stay with the bonded Swift A Frame, kinda like a NP on steroids.I am tempted to go with the Barnes new MRX bullet but don't want to change from a winner.The Swift is plently tough enough.

Any thoughts or experience indicating other "better" bullets out there?

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? hoppdoc 21/03/06 01:23 PM
. * * Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? mikeh416Rigby   23/03/06 02:49 AM
. * * Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? allenday   21/03/06 02:34 PM
. * * Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? hoppdoc   23/03/06 10:50 PM
. * * Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? markhyoung   22/03/06 12:15 PM
. * * Re: PLAINS GAME-WHAT BULLETS?? 300WSM/338WM?? BFaucett   23/03/06 02:37 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2587

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com