Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Gun Makers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Gun Makers
      18/02/06 05:50 AM

I wasn't too sure where to post this but I thought here it would have greater discussion.

At the Vegas show I had a talk with Peterb about Searcy and how he is growing and needing tradesmen, so I asked if there was an apprenticeship program in the US to be a gun maker? I classify a gun maker as someone who can take a chunk of metal and wood, and produce a fine firearm from them. Buying a threaded barrel, screwing it on an action and headspacing it does not constitute the title of "gunmaker". I can do that.

If there is not one, should one be set up? Should there be a prerequisite that you have to be a TQ machinist before being accepted into the program? What would be the prerequisite be for those having skills carving wood or engraving? I am in no way taking anything away from those that are quite talented that were "self taught", or had a peer that guided them, but lack a piece of paper.

With all the CNC machines and mass production of today, is there a need for a program? Most of the population will buy a Ruger #1 when looking for a falling block, and not seek the services of Martini and Hagn or others (price is the main factor of any purchase, I do not care how much you make).

Pete informed me that Purdey had the title of "stocker" when he was working for Manton, which meant that he could do it all. Is there stll an appreticeship in Europe? How does one get the foot in the door?

I am not interested in becoming a gun maker, but I hope the art of gun making does not go extinct.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Gun Makers AdamTayler 18/02/06 05:50 AM
. * * Re: Gun Makers 500Nitro   18/02/06 05:59 AM
. * * Re: Gun Makers Peterb   18/02/06 07:23 AM
. * * Re: Gun Makers RLI   18/02/06 03:19 PM
. * * Re: Gun Makers AdamTayler   18/02/06 03:32 PM
. * * Re: Gun Makers RLI   18/02/06 04:11 PM
. * * Re: Gun Makers foxfire   18/02/06 05:55 AM

Extra information
1 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1616

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com