Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Africa bound

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Boomer
.300 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: The Hudson Bay Coast, Canada
Re: Africa bound
      02/02/06 01:36 AM

I think the first thing is to have the rifle(s) bedded by someone who understands powerful rifles, not all gunsmiths do. You may want to have cross bolts installed, particularly with the .375 although I had a M-700 .350 magnum that cracked the stock through the for-end and the pistol grip. The stock should fit you, and this can be addressed while the bedding work is being done.

One more issue with the rifle stock is if you get your knuckle rapped by the back of the trigger guard when the rifle recoils. With my rifle this became a problem when I practiced rapid fire, so I am having my gunsmith make a filler to go between the pistol grip and the trigger guard, similar to what used to be available for combat stocked revolvers. Hopefully, this will force me to keep my hand lower on the pistol grip and alleviate the painful bump on the knuckle

If you have a front swivel stud on the for-end it might be a good idea to move it to the radius of the for-end tip to avoid a cut hand. Lots of "African" rifles have a barrel band sling attachment which servers the same purpose and has the added advantage of carrying the slung rifle lower, however I do not favour this method as I sometimes use the sling for additional support when shooting. Many Africans it seems just do away with the sling completely.

If the rifle has to go out anyway you might as well have the gunsmith do some trigger work if you have issues with the trigger - 3lbs is about right but more importantly all creep and sponginess should be adjusted out.

Make sure your ammo feeds without any hiccups. If you have feeding problems you will need to address your ammo or your rifle to fix the problem. If the bolt handle is difficult to lift (cock) you may want to address that as well.

If the rifles are to be scoped, take a spare, and use QD mounts in case you do have a scope failure. I like Talley's but there are lots of good QD mounts. If you need to use the rifle's iron sights, are they a type you are happy with? I prefer a ghost ring and post, but there are many who prefer an express sight and bead. The sights installed on many American rifles are poor.

You will need to transport your rifles, so get the best travel case(s) you can afford. I chose the Pelican Case, but again there are lots to choose from.

--------------------

Edited by Boomer (02/02/06 01:51 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Africa bound Bushy 01/02/06 04:50 PM
. * * Re: Africa bound MRobinson   07/02/06 05:53 AM
. * * Re: Africa bound Bushy   04/02/06 03:21 PM
. * * Re: Africa bound mickey   06/02/06 03:51 PM
. * * Re: Africa bound Boomer   02/02/06 01:36 AM
. * * Re: Africa bound JPK   02/02/06 05:32 AM
. * * Re: Africa bound Bushy   21/02/06 04:21 PM
. * * Re: Africa bound JPK   21/02/06 04:32 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2025

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com