Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

mhb
.275 member

Reged: 20/09/05
Loc: S.E. Arizona
Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius
      25/01/06 03:37 AM

Fred Wells was one of the greats, no doubt about it. His shop (a veritable Aladin's cave for anyone with an interest in firearms) in Prescott, AZ was literally around the corner from the home/shop of Paul Marquart, my mentor-emeritus in the barrel making trade. They often had lunch together, and I was privileged to know and talk with them both (sadly, all too few times, all too briefly). Between them, they had done everything there is to do in riflesmithing, and some of Fred's work can only be described as unique. I got to handle the .50BMG bolt gun (one of his super-magnum '98 Mausers, possibly the biggest one ever), and it had a properly-proportioned stock (I.E., for a Titan), but could also be shortened for shooting by mere mortals. Fred (and Paul) were Grand Masters of the Craft - we are the poorer for their absence.
mhb - Mike

--------------------
Sancho! My armor!

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius mehulkamdar 24/01/06 08:20 AM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius mhb   25/01/06 03:37 AM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius 500grains   24/01/06 03:24 PM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius mehulkamdar   24/01/06 03:42 PM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius 500grains   24/01/06 04:21 PM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius mehulkamdar   25/01/06 04:45 AM
. * * Re: In Memoriam - Fred Wells gunsmithing genius masterifleman   25/01/06 03:36 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5922

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com