Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora
      06/02/24 08:35 PM

To my knowledge, a lot of Howdah pistols had rifled barrels. I almost bid on a Howdah pistol in Italy. It was a good price. But then found out the barrels were smooth bore. After paying Holts to pick it up, and transport to Australia, permits etc, it would have cost way too much for a smooth bore.

I've never seen any testing of a Howdah for regulation and accuracy. Has anyone else?

They were for point shooting at very close range. Aiming at a 5 yard target, point shooting would work pretty well. Some net discussions and participants think the Howdah pistols were used for actual hunting. Shooting at animals from the elephant back at ground targets. The rare shortish Howdah rifles, yes. But I doubt the pistols were used purposely much for non defence hunting at ground targets. Am I wrong?

This shoulder butt stock Howdah pistol may indicate otherwise? Someone wanted to improve the pistol beyond a mere close quarters pointing pistol. If it shoots well with the stock fitted it would be a very useful and handy addition in the Howdah platform or even on foot.

Now if a standard rifled Howdah pistol is of questionable regulation and accuracy? I wonder if a smooth bore Howdah isn't of more use. It could be used for ball, or for shot. Bird shot for the odd bird. Letter shot for bigger and very close defence. Ball for the same.

I think the earlier muzzle loading Howdah pistols might have been more likely smooth bores?

The Howdah pistol I think owes its origins to the muzzle loading era. A long arm or two. Single barrelled or double barrelled. If a hunter sitting in his Howdah saddle, has fired off his two barrels of his muzzle loading rifle or shotgun, muzzle loading it could be a chore in a howdah. And take way too long. You've fired your too barrels at a tiger and need more shots. A pistol hanging on the side of the Howdah or in a scabbard, would provide handy additional shots. If the tiger has leapt on top of the elephant, even more handy and necessary.

I think a smooth bore Howdah pistol with a shoulder stock fitted would make a handy shorter range shotgun. Similar to a good old sawn off shotgun. A bit shorter than a coach gun. If legal?

I wonder howv often tigers did leap on top of the elephants' backs? Quite often is my guess, the tiger has a big heart, ferocious when threatened or wounded. We even have a couple of modern videos of tigers jumping on top of elephants ridden with people on top, viewing tigers. In one of the videos, the mahout lost a leg from the attack.

I've ridden elephants in tiger country. Viewing a tiger or two lying hiding under a thorn bush it wasn't happy, Almost underneath us, growling and looking up, A hundred or so tourists on the road got elephant rides on a couple of elephant the hundred or so yards into the jungle to where it was lying up. By the end I think it would have been very unhappy.

So I think wounded tigers leaping onto a elephant might not have been uncommon, if simple tourist or working elephants have provoked an attack. Perhaps a mum defending her young. Or a tiger defending a kill. Both are still common causes of fatal human/tiger interactions.

But why would a maker rifle those bores without ensuring decent handgun accuracy and also some regulation of the barrels?

I need these questions answered, anyone?

If I ever acquire one or more, I certainly test it out.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator 30/04/22 01:52 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   30/04/22 02:42 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   30/04/22 05:08 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   30/04/22 05:21 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   30/04/22 05:36 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   30/09/23 03:18 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora degoins   03/02/24 10:43 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   03/02/24 10:47 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   03/02/24 11:10 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora degoins   04/02/24 08:54 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   04/02/24 09:07 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   04/02/24 05:30 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora lancaster   05/02/24 05:26 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   05/02/24 04:24 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora 93x64mm   05/02/24 07:10 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora *DELETED* DarylS   05/02/24 11:44 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   05/02/24 11:47 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora eagle27   05/02/24 01:59 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   06/02/24 05:11 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   06/02/24 08:35 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   06/02/24 09:06 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   22/02/24 03:21 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora 9.3x57   22/02/24 04:07 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   22/02/24 04:05 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora lancaster   01/03/24 03:34 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora 93x64mm   01/03/24 05:17 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   01/03/24 06:20 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   02/03/24 04:25 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora 9.3x57   02/03/24 05:45 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   19/03/24 12:02 AM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora NitroXAdministrator   05/02/24 04:43 PM
. * * Re: Howdah pistol, built for the charge - The Explora DarylS   01/05/22 03:08 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2591

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com