Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Re: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ?
      08/10/22 08:51 AM

Thank you that info. I appreciate it.
I did notice the difference in the ejector from my other two Haenel Models. The open space in front of the sight looked odd but I wanted that Sight for the low price the rifle was being offered!

I tried 7x57 factory rounds through the action and they feed, extract and eject just fine.

I may replace the bbl with a longer 'rifle' length when building a sporter. I like the caliber though and the bore on this 19+" bbl is excl'nt.
That '248' gauge number is what the dealer used as the guns Ser# on the paperwork.
No other real ser# on the action.

I pulled the bbl'd action from the wood.
The stock is inletted very closely and done with hand chisels, not just a machine inlet.
Very sharp clean inletting as one would see on the same commercial products of the era.

The stock does look like a cut down Military style with it's sling swivel at the rear of the grip and fitment for a handguard clip around the bbl at the breech.
But I guess it coud be most any version put up to be sold at a time to use up parts and just plain make some cash.

I'm thinking an English style sporter on this one,,the short forend, slender bbl, open sights. That single trigger will fit right in that style.
The stock can be reshaped and slightly altered to make a pattern to be used to turn a final pre-fit in some nice English Walnut I have had standing around for too long.
Like I need another 'project'.
But it'll fill my desire to instead strip down a Steyr Portugese 1896 Navy Short Rifle (6.5x54M/S)for it's bbl'd action to make a similar sporter I've been wanting to do.

Thank you all again for the info, pics, links and feed back.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ? 2152hq 03/10/22 10:56 PM
. * * Re: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ? lancaster   04/10/22 02:38 AM
. * * Re: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ? 2152hq   04/10/22 07:52 AM
. * * Re: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ? kuduae   08/10/22 06:10 AM
. * * Re: What is this? A sporterized 88 or a ? 2152hq   08/10/22 08:51 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1323

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com