Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: European Hunting Calibers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Plains99
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/04
Loc: Dodge City, Kansas, USA
European Hunting Calibers
      28/06/05 12:23 AM

I recently purchased an old 1947 book by an American named Truesdale (sp) on the "Development of the Sporting Rifle." I read it over the weekend. The author related hundreds of quotes from experienced and famous hunters around the world and their experiences with different rifle calibers and their effectiveness on large and small game. It is fascinating reading because it is before the modern "magnum" calibers. I was intrigued with the universal popularity and effectiveness of the .256 Mannlicher in the early part of the 20th Century, for instance. What surprised me was that the 9.3X62 or 9.3X64 were never mentioned in the book although there were rave reviews of the .35 Whelen which is nearly identical. There were a few passing references by hunters such as Karmon Kittenberger, for instance, regarding the 8X68, 9mm, or even much mention of the 7.9X57 (8mm Mauser)... yet we know (or I thought) that these calibers were quite popular in Africa. Who were the famous European (continental) Ivory and Big Game hunters of the early 20th Century and what European calibers did they use. Is there an old book that discusses this?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* European Hunting Calibers Plains99 28/06/05 12:23 AM
. * * Re: European Hunting Calibers 577Robert   04/07/05 03:38 AM
. * * Re: European Hunting Calibers NitroXAdministrator   04/07/05 01:18 AM
. * * Re: European Hunting Calibers Plains99   29/06/05 11:34 PM
. * * Re: European Hunting Calibers ORION   03/07/05 10:20 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2615

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com