Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Coues Deer Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

coues
.275 member

Reged: 04/03/03
Coues Deer Hunt
      29/05/03 04:21 AM

Hi,
I wanted to contribute to the site since I havent posted anything in some time. I am no hand at writing so please excuse my mistakes.

Ok, here goes;

I on several occasions have taken a few animals in front of an audience. Either in front of other hunters, hikers or above or not far from camps that either haven’t woke up or they called it a day a bit early. Whether it is by design or just pure accident, I can’t really say. This is one such incident.
Back in the mid 90's I owned a 76 international scout. It was a great machine, went anywhere, did whatever I put it into, but it had a quirk. No matter the situation or the weather it would vapor lock, usually at the most troublesome moment. I changed every fuel line I could find and everything else one could think of to fix it, but never did.
I was going to hunt a particularly nasty bowl this one season. You know the type of place, thick, nasty and straight up and down. I had been in this nasty place many times over the years, always seeing the flag end of deer or just bits and pieces of them. This time I had made up my mind that I was going to get it right, the timing that is.
I knew opening morning that there would be several camps on the road I needed to go in on, but I also knew that few if any would go past the nastiest part of it, so I had a good chance of getting to the bowl before the deer and other hunters would.
I had everything set, including a new spotting scope. I was serious. I set out for the 2hr drive at 3am, prepared to be in my spot before daylight. Nothing was going to keep me from it. As I figured, there were a bunch of camps, and their occupants were up and about, though a few were still asleep. I figured I would get past them all and be in good shape for the days hunt.
I drove past the last camp and there were 3 guys standing around the fire doing the morning things folks do while at camp. I got maybe 1/8 of a mile past this last camp when the scout vapor locked. I couldn’t get it started. No matter what I did it would just not start. So here I am, close to a camp, in the woods, its opening day, what do I do? The ethics hit hard, so close to others and all but they were still in camp. Should I hit my bowl? Should I ask for a hand? I knew my scout, eventually it would start. Should I wait and then go on?
Now some may think I was a big jerk at this point and others may not. I chose to hit the bowl. That’s why I was out there right? Well, I set out. I had lost some time doing the not so trained mechanic stuff, though it wasn’t much.
I got up to a point that was near to where I wanted to be, but I had to get set up as the sun was starting to show itself. At this point I was half way up the mountain. I set up my gear, cleaned the lenses, loaded the rifle and made ready.
I had made it. The bowl was mine. I was all set, except that while I am getting myself together a 3x4 (with 3in eye guards) coues buck has been silently coming up from the direction that I had come up. He was behind me, the whole way. How do I know this you may ask? As I turned to look back and down the mountain, I spot him. Standing there, looking right at me. In a spot that I had been just a few minutes before. Where’s my rifle? You guessed it, its laying on my pack.

"Coues" and a Coues buck 3x3 from December 1989

Mere moments seem like an eternity, as I scramble and reach for my rifle. The buck bolts, I bolt, the whole mountains bolting. If a video operator had been on hand this would have made one heck of a show.
I get an opening, I see the buck, one shot then another is fired, as I come out of recoil, searching for the buck in the scope, over the echo of the shots, I hear from down below; "Wake the H*** up!! That guy is shooting our d**n deer"!!! "&*&*(^&^&**...come on!!!!!! That a****le got ahead of us". The language was embarrassing to say the least!!
I stayed focused on the task at hand. I had hit the buck twice but had not seen him drop. I feverishly scanned the thickets and the opposite side of the bowl. After a few tense moment i finally spot him. He had made it to the rim of the bowl, he was wounded there was no doubt, the final shot knocked him down, but not out. He scrambled over the rim and out of sight.
I didn’t wait one minute. I left my gear where it lay and scrambled after the buck. I found him just a few yards from where I last saw him. I gave thanks to and for the buck. I tagged him, and then set to work. It was at this moment that I realized that my plan had worked, though with a slight glitch.
Then it hit me. Those words I had heard from down below. Man, was somebody upset! I thought as I took care of the buck about all of the things that these guys might want do or say to me. I had to drive past these guys, not to mention hike back down to the scout.
Thoughts of ill will went through my mind as I carried my buck down to my gear and then down to my scout. Feelings of guilt and accomplishment at the same time ran through my mind.
I worked my way down the mountain and waited for the worst to come. I waited an hour or more. Nothing, no one, not a single harsh word nor angry mob showed.
It was time to go; after all I had a deer to get home, but what of the guys in camp? What would happen as I drove by?
As it turns out, there was a guy in camp as I went by. To my astonishment, he was laughing, and saluting me. I sheepishly waved back. My fears were all for not.
To this day, I still wonder how their faces looked as I my rifle fired and of what they thought when they heard my scout suddenly stop. I never did feel like it was wrong or that I was a jerk, but did they? I will never know.

Mounted 4x3 Coues buck - 1990

So there’s a story about a coues hunt. Sorry it was so long. I hope you all didn’t nod off during the reading of it.
Thanks for your time.
Coues
DS

More Coues deer photos

1991 Coues deer 3x3

Coues First big Coues buck

The Coues buck mounted from the photo
with "Coues" above mounted - Buck from
Dec 1989 3x3

Edited by NitroX (01/06/03 12:49 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Coues Deer Hunt coues 29/05/03 04:21 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt - photos added NitroXAdministrator   01/06/03 12:51 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt - photos added coues   01/06/03 02:14 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt - photos added ovis   01/06/03 03:28 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt - photos added gryphon   01/06/03 06:59 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt ovis   29/05/03 02:12 PM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt coues   30/05/03 06:08 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt JackKnife   30/05/03 10:55 AM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt NitroXAdministrator   29/05/03 02:10 PM
. * * Re: Coues Deer Hunt gryphon   29/05/03 05:31 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2033

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com