Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Rothhammer1
.400 member

Reged: 06/01/17
Loc: The Redwoods of California
Re: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS
      07/04/17 08:11 PM

It's your rifle (if you go ahead with purchase), but allow me to be the first to publicly cringe at the thought of modifying an original Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910, unless it's in awfully rough shape to start with.

My suggestion would be to try the rifle first with only the iron sights. The early MS rifles (I have an M1910 Takedown) were designed and configured for fast, instinctive sight acquisition (snap shooting) with iron sights. They were highly regarded, in part, for this reason.

When using a claw mount scope (mine has a period Gerard 'B'), the geometry goes cattywhompus a bit, thus I see the desire for the lowest mount possible. If it did not have a scope, however, I would not add one as original, uncut, MS rifles aren't getting any less rare and desirable.

The post - WW2 models of 1956, 1961 , etc. were better suited for scopes with their 'Monte Carlo' stocks. The later ones are predrilled for a side mount. I believe they also had an additional safety.

Again, though, most importantly... it's your rifle.

--------------------
Citizen of the Cherokee Nation

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Tang Safety on a 1910 MS karamoja 07/04/17 05:49 AM
. * * Re: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS Rothhammer1   07/04/17 08:11 PM
. * * Re: Tang Safety on a 1910 MS deeangeo   08/04/17 05:06 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1890

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com