Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Taking the Krag to the range....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

vegard_dino
.333 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: From Norway, but living in Swi...
Taking the Krag to the range....
      24/05/14 10:35 PM

Hi all.

These has taken me some time, but I have not been on the range with the old Krag.
(Look at old post for photos. )
I have keept it all original, only thing I have done is to wipe out the barrel, clean the action and thats it. Was thinking of doing more restoration on it, but as some told me here, keep it as it is. And I am glad I did just that.

So, the shooting...

I got in contact with a old friend, telling me about the KRAG club of 94..Interesting.
I made some calls, did find out who the leader of club was and made a call to him. ( Yes, the club do NOT have any e-mail, Facebook or so....)
After a long and interesting talk, I was invited to join them on the range the following week. I will give it a try I sad to myself.
Before I made the trip to the range, I had a goal of only test fiering the old gun. Had a dream at one stage to take it out hunting, but not sure how the gun was going to shot, I had that dream more or less forgotten.....Just to try the old gun and find out if I was able to hit the paper was my goal now.

The club leader told me that only original rifles, military, where allowed, had to be pre 1945. Part from Krag, Mauser, Lee-Enfield, M03 Springfield and others, only iron sights allowed. No peep sights!! Shooting is done with iron sights, thats how men shoot he sad.

Next week, I was at the club....Had to admit I was a bit worried. I walked in, only to find out I was the youngest of the 14 men there, oldest was 84!! Only two under the age of 65. " If you join us, you will be the only one under 65 next year" I was told.
Walked over to the range, some of them had done a round, all shots being fired at 100 meters. When the results did come up, my jaw was dropping.....Oh my....The lowest score was 31 points, highest 42( three 8`s and two 9`s.) In my book that is good shooting.
Now everyone turned to me, the new guy....Looking at the rifle, sights, mumbling a bit.....On of them ending up saying, " Oh she is good for another 100 years, in good shape she is" With a smile. I was happy. They all talked about the Krag, sharing what they did know. Explaining how to adjust the front sigh and so one. What a evening!
"Hi, you, come here, time you start shooting", one of them told me and I will help you he told me. 100 meters, 3 shot.
3 shots later, I had 3 misses...not even hitting the large paper....Oh no, embarrassing. It really was. (Not even hitting the paper...)
Oh no, not to worry they told me, just have to shoot more. Now I did aim just in the middle of the paper, 3 shoots....3 more misses. But, one shot hitting very low, just barley touching the paper. " Let me have a look", on of them sad, adjusting the rear sight up to 500 meters. 3 shots later, I was still hitting low, hitting 25cm to low and way way to the left.
Now the same gentleman did adjust the front sight, "3 more", he sad. Ok, here we go.
Now I was hitting only 50mm, about 2", to the right. Still low. Amazing I sad. How did you know how much to adjust the front sight I asked..." By feeling" was the reply. With a smile on the face.
Now the rear sight was put up to 800 meters, 3 more shots. Oh what???? I had all three shoots 100mm high and a bit to the right. No MOA, but still all three was all within a circle of 70mm!!!
Now I had a big SMILE!

By now the shooting was over, time for coffee and cake in the club house.
Sipping my coffee, I was not able to stop smiling. What a evening, what a club, what a lucky man I am. To meet these men, yes they are not young, but they sure know a thing or two about shooting. And, they what to share.
I did end up signing up for membership and ensuring them I will for sure be back!
2 weeks from now, shooting contest! Just have to do some small adjusting to the sights and some more rounds.....Not going to be close on the list, but I will have fun. Fun and a great time.
Now, thinking about it, that what is is all about. Enjoying things, not just rushing to the range and back home to update Facebook......These for sure do enjoy.

Driving back home, my was not able to stop thinking about my Grandfather and how he did care for these rifle. Always in the cabinet with the original muzzle protector on. It had a special place in his heart.
"Thank you"

Sadly I did not had my camera with me. But, next time I will! I will wright some more about the shooting, how it goes and take some photos.
About the hunting, oh yes, I will do so. To honer my Grandfather and to challenge myself.
But, these old rifles are not bad at all. Just have to know your limits.

Thank you all for looking. Have a good weekend.

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Taking the Krag to the range.... vegard_dino 24/05/14 10:35 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. vegard_dino   10/09/14 04:24 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. Ash   10/09/14 06:24 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. vegard_dino   10/09/14 07:53 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. Ash   10/09/14 09:24 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. vegard_dino   10/09/14 09:29 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. Igorrock   10/09/14 11:50 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. NitroXAdministrator   12/09/14 02:50 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. DarylS   13/09/14 12:20 AM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range. Photos added. greenshoots   11/09/14 01:22 AM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... DarylS   25/05/14 01:16 AM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... vegard_dino   25/05/14 05:46 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... DarylS   26/05/14 01:15 AM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... Sville   26/05/14 03:24 AM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range.... Buchsemann   30/05/14 12:58 PM
. * * Re: Taking the Krag to the range....PHOTOS +added! vegard_dino   10/09/14 04:46 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6011

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com