Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tigers in India

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Tigers in India
      30/12/02 04:36 PM

From: bushman (Original Message) Sent: 11/17/2002 11:31 PM
G`day to all members, Perhaps someone can help me out here, a long time ago i saw a book about a man who hunted Tigers in India i beleive he hunted man eaters. i think from memory it was about workers being taken from a railway line that was being built. i think his first name was Jim , but im not sure. if any one has info i would be glad to here from them .
thankyou bushman.

First Previous 2-6 of 6 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

bushman

you are thinking about two different books (or sets of books).

The book about buidling a railway and maneaters is an historical account of the building of the "Uganda" Railway in Kenya. Before the colony of Kenya was established. An engineer responsible for the railway and the building of a bridge over the River Tsavo was named Colonel Patterson. Two lions harassed the Indians building the railway and killed many workers. The Indians were brought over from India as paid labourers to construct the railroad. I think the book is called the "Maneaters of Tsavo". There is another book on the building of the Uganda Railway. I will check the titles tommorrow when I am home again in case the names are incorrect above. Both books are definitely worth reading.

There is also a Hollywood movie called "Maneaters of Tsavo" or similar. This movie is quite bad and not true to the real story at all but is somewhat entertaining.

The second thing you are thinking about is the books by Jim Corbett, the famous maneater slayer in India. Titles include "Maneaters of Kumaon", "Leopard of Rudaprayag" and several others. These are GREAT reads and definitely worth reading. Corbett was a master hunter but also a little strange. He successfully killed several maneating tigers and leopards which between them would have totalled over 1,000 human lives lost. I have read some of Corbetts books many times. When Indian achieved independence Corbett against the wishes of his own resident Indians lost his property and moved to Kenya where he also did some African hunting.

Again I will look up some of the titles and post them here for you.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Bushman, the chap's name was James Corbett. There is a chapter about him in Peter Hatahaway Capstick's book, Death in the Silent Places. He was an amazing and maybe somewhat lucky fellow.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Those were the days old boy.

Bag the old maneater, then home for afternoon tea.

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

bushman

here is three of the books you are probably talking about. If you can find these for sale or in a library, they are worth it.

These are the 3 slim paperback editions that I have.

Nitro

Recommend Delete Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Nitro, thankyou for the info on the books. I will keep my eye out.
regards bushman.

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Tigers in India Prev_Forum 30/12/02 04:36 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1444

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com