Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My current Mauser projects

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Handloader52
.224 member

Reged: 13/12/09
Loc: Maryland, USA
My current Mauser projects
      11/08/12 03:02 AM

I don't know why this would not be allowed by the forum administrators, but if it is just let me know.

I just posted an update to the status of my current Mauser projects. You'll find it at the following link:

[edited: photos and comments brought here - easy]

Keith

Quote:

The three barreled actions you see below are just about ready to go to McMillan for stocks. There are two 1909 Argentine Mausers, one in 9.3X62 with a heavy contour 22" barrel and one in 30'06 with a 24" light contour barrel; and there is one commercial FN Mauser from the early 50's with a light contour 24" barrel in 338'06. All three sport Lyman 48 receiver sights and the FN will mount a scope as well with Warne Maxima rings and bases. The front sights on the 338 and 30'06 are New England Custom Guns new folding hood banded front sight and the 9.3 has the NECG Masterpiece front sight with a removable hood. NECG did all the metal work and all three will be sent back to them for final fit and finish once John at McMillan finishes with the stocks. The 9.3X62 will wear a McMillan CZ Express stock and the other two will wear their Interarms Mark X stock.

Quote:

Below are two Mark X Mausers (both Whitworths) that NECG did for me several years ago. One is in 458 Win Mag and the 416 Taylor. Both wear McMillan's CZ Express stock. As you can see they both have the same bolt handle design and Model 70 style bolt shroud that the guns above have. And they are both finished in Birdsong's Black-T.

Quote:

Just to keep you all up to date on the project, I just received the third and last of these three barrelled actions back from McMillan. The two with the integral front sight hood (a 30'06 on a 1909 Arg and a 338-06 A-Square on a commercial FN Mauser action from the early 50's) were stocked by John at McMillan in their Mark X Mauser stock, while the third, a 9.3X62mm (on a 1909 Arg) was stocked in their CZ Express stock. Sorry, no photos of the stocks yet. I was in too big a hurry to get them shipped off to New England Custom Guns (NECG) for final fit and finish.

All three stocks were made with magnum fill in the action area for extra durability but the rest of the stock was made with Kevlar to keep the weight at a minimum. For example, even with a heavy profile to its barrel, the 9.3X62 weighs 9.2 pounds empty and without a sling. The 30'06 and the 338-06 weigh in around 8 pounds each.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, all three wear Lyman 48 receiver sights.

As usual, John at McMillan did a superb job on all three stocks. He's been doing all my fiberglass stocks since the early 90's and has NEVER sent me anything that wasn't top shelf. Unfortunately, McMillan no longer offers this service. You can buy their stocks but they won't install them except when building the entire rifle. Pretty disappointing but with my match Rem 700 he is doing now, I probably have done my last custom rifle. My battery is complete.

NECG has all three now, plus the 416 Taylor shown in the original post (dark brown stock). I'm having the 416 converted to 458 Win Mag and in doing so are installing a new barrel with a quarter rib. Why, because I've always wanted at least one of my guns to have one. It will have a 24" barrel and be primarily a scoped rifle. The other 458 I have (also shown in the original post with the light stock) is a 22" and will primarily be used with express sights. Both of these have the CZ Express stock and are built on Mark X actions, both obtained from Birmingham Whitworth guns (a 375 H&H and a 458).

NECG is in the process of doing all the final fit and finish on the guns, lapping the bolts, ensuring reliable feeding and firing, regulating the sights, and having the caliber/number of cartridges engraved on the floor plate and serial number engraved on the trigger bow, and then having the metal finished in Birdsong's Black-T. I was considering the new matte black titanium nitride finish gaining popularity on pistols, but I have not seen it used on rifles yet and normally don't like to experiment when building custom rifles.

Once they come back from NECG I'll take a slew of new pictures and get them posted for you all to see. Oh, the total time for these builds started when I acquired the actions is over 5 years.

Edited by CptCurl (02/12/12 12:43 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* My current Mauser projects Handloader52 11/08/12 03:02 AM
. * * Re: My current Mauser projects NitroXAdministrator   11/08/12 05:23 AM
. * * Re: My current Mauser projects Anjin   13/08/12 10:28 AM
. * * Re: My current Mauser projects 458Win   12/08/12 03:43 AM
. * * Re: My current Mauser projects Rule303   12/08/12 06:38 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7912

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com