Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Casting for my 45.70, enjoying working out a good Load

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Cast Bullets

Perry
.275 member

Reged: 09/11/10
Loc: Qld Australia
Casting for my 45.70, enjoying working out a good Load
      22/06/12 08:15 AM

G/Day Folks

I have just bought a Rossi Rio Grande 45.70 which I am very happy with despite just having sent it back for a minor repair under Warrantee.

This is a photo of a 10 Shot group I shot at 50 yards Sunday just gone. No great shakes but then again I was shooting off what amounts to a wobbly Card Table in the middle of a Cow Paddock.

As I am shooting a Plain Base Projectile I used a Trapdoor starting Load @ approx 1400fps. The Rifle Slugged at .451 Bore , .457 Groove. Load as follows Remington Cases, Remington Primers,40grains AR2206H [ 4895H ] Lee 405gr HB projectile .459 Dianmeter Cast from straight Wheel Weights and Air Cooled. Still saving for a Gas Checked Mould. OAL was 2.585

I tumble lubed with Lee Liquid Alox first time around and was rewarded with Bad Leading so after what seemed like a Week scrubbing Lead from the Bore I switched to a Homemix Lube of LLA, Parrafin and STP Oil Treatment. As I shot this group and the Wind Blew, the Table Wobbled and the Barrel Leaded slightly the Group shifted Low and Right

The Barrel Leaded very Slightly, a faint grey tinge near the Muzzle, so I have lubed up the next Load with White Label Carnuba Red mixed with Beeswax and ATF. This works well with my 35.303 at 1886 fps. If I still get minor Leading I will try Water Quenching the Proj or adding tin to my Alloy. I am loath to further reduce the Load. I bought this Rifle for a meaningfull step up in Power over my other Rifles and Trapdoor Loads don't do it for me. But Hey I had to start Casting for it somewhere.

The 2 shots touching off to the Left is a different Load 45gr AR2206H [ 4895H ] 350gr Westcast rnfp commercial Hardcast. These have a Teflon like Coating. The other shots failed to fire due to light hammer strikes. This is why I sent the Rifle back for repair under Warrantee, I know it's as easy a Fix as shimming the Hammer Spring but it's a new Rifle and I may as well use the Warrantee while it's there

Soon as I get the Rifle Back, this load sorted and my Gas Check Mould the Fun will start again

regards Jacko

--------------------
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' " -Charles Darwin

Edited by Perry (22/06/12 08:16 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Casting for my 45.70, enjoying working out a good Load Perry 22/06/12 08:15 AM
. * * Re: Casting for my 45.70, enjoying working out a good Load DarylSModerator   23/06/12 02:36 AM
. * * Re: Casting for my 45.70, enjoying working out a good Load Perry   25/06/12 09:12 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2646

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com