Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010
      09/04/11 09:32 PM

Wanting to hunt the Territory again, but cheaply, Matt Graham of Hunt Australia having given to me details of a property that could be hunted, with Karl his PH at the time it was last used, giving a lot of details. I and a couple of other fellows, decided to head up to the Northern Territory to the Daly Waters area for a week of hunting and fishing. Pigs, donkeys were hoped for. And with some rivers in the area, including a couple of large waterholes nearby the camp, we also took along some fishing gear.

One of our group could only spare a week's hunting, plus the driving up and back, so unfortunately it would not be possible to venture any further North.

Leaving the Barossa a lot later than intended due to some finance deadlines that couldn't be avoided, I met up with the other two guys early in the morning in Port Pirie for the loading up of the Landcruiser plus a trailer. We had a substantial number of jerry cans (11) for fuel along, empty for the drive up, as we had been advised to take along a considerable amount of fuel to the property.

A couple of bush camps on the side of the road on the way up, including some time to replace the bald tyres on Danny's trailer in Tennant Creek and then a final stocking up of goods especially fuel in Daly Waters.

On the way up, an unusual sighting of a Rhino in the Aussie Desert.

Outside the residence of an ex-pat Rhodie perhaps? Or a mad Africaphile? Who knows?

A couple of hours drive off the bitumen through another cattle station and we were at the gate to our hunting property. Then to the station house.

The owner was off mustering cattle, but we were directed to the camp it had been suggested we stay at. It was actually on Aboriginal land, and actually on the station to the North, so it would be necessary to also visit them and let the owner of that property know, and get permission to make sure it was OK. The property had also changed hands (ownership) since Hunt Aust had last been there.

Now the fun started.

The track we were directed to use, right on the boundary fence, was NOT well used and very rough. We also ended up driving in the dark. Through various rocky hills, gullies, bounces and bumps, the going was very very very slow, 1st gear low wheel range. The camp was a lot further away than we thought it would be, or were told it was.

Then the cruch. Literally. Going through a creek, there was an aweful crunch, the creek wall dropped off suddenly, on stone, and the trailer did not like it. We managed to bend the A frame arm on the trailer.

It was dark, hours after dusk, so we decided to camp on the crappy track for the night and see what to do the next morning. I thought about walking a couple of kms to see if the camp was close, but wisely decided not to, seeing the problems the next day!

The next morning, we unhitched the trailer then set off to see what the track ahead was like and where the camp was. First driving to the left, we were told it was in the neighbouring property, we went through the boundary gate. Driving along we found another track heading East and tried that. It had been used recently, but got rougher and rougher, and eventually disappeared. We did find some several kilometre long deep waterholes, except the camp was obviously on the other side somewhere. Later we found out the property owner had had a picnic on the spot the previous weekend with his family.

Backtracking, we found another track further South. Again arrived at the waterholes except too far to the West.

Then back through the boundary gate, and a km along, a gate and another track to the North, a kilometre along that and the white buildings of the camp were in the sight. At last! Only took five hours to find the camp that morning! As said, glad we didn't try to walk it the previously night!

The camp was also a bit different from when Karl, Matt's PH had last used it, a year or two earlier. The water tank on the hill had been removed or stolen. The toilet building had tipped over, the bore cable and hose had been chopped up by someone with an axe .... One of the buildings had a rotting dead roo in it, and the others were less than savoury ..... so we decided we would camp in the verandah of one of the buildings and put the fuel, generator and fridge in the other. No need for the tents we had brought along. However only when we got all that gear to the camp.

Back to the trailer. Unloaded it, pushed and pulled the trailer through the creek by hand, and towed it up the other side. Piled most of the fuel on the side of the track, and loaded up the car as much as possible, and the rest of the stuff in the trailer. Then to the camp, a relatively uneventful trip.

Went for a drive to the neighbours station house and met the guy there at his sheds. Seemed a nice enough guy, seeing we had effectively invited ourselves onto HIS property! To stay in the buildings as our camp. I then asked him about fishing and got the OK, and then asked if we could hunt some pigs and donkeys if we saw any. After a moments thought, he gave us permission. It helps to have the OK and recommendation of a neighbour ie the property to the South.

As it turned out the better hunting areas were all on his land, so it was for the best - for us. But we couldn't hunt too far North on his property as he was mustering there.

But he also advised us of two other tracks on his land which went to the camp from the main track, and they were far better tracks. Did not use the other AGAIN! Except to pick up some fuel and tank up when needed.

Finally the next morning we could actually hunt. Walking on the South side of the waterholes and river, we walked in a line. After a few kilometres I had lost sight of the other two guys, having had to climb a hill and then hit a body of water. I thought the two guys were in front of me, and had turned South. But following the water, I found out it was only a billabong and not the main river, which did turn South further on.

Decided to have a sit down, drink, and listen. Listening is useful, as after a while I could hear donkey's calling due South of me, and also along the river further on. So not knowing where the other guys were, also my UHF radio wasn't set properly so my calls out weren't being received, I decided to head off in a different direction and find the calling donkeys. The UHF was new, and later found the setting which increased its range.

Maybe four kilometres along, a kilometre off the river, I bumped into three donkeys. They hadn't called for a while, but I had obviously set the right direction.

Two of the three donkeys.

I was carrying my older model BLR in .308, as shooting could be at a distance, the main targets being pigs and donkeys. I did bring along the 9.3 and .450 but only shot the sighting in target with them. The 9.3 also has shotgun barrels if needed, but no waterfowl in the area either.

Walking further into the bush, I didn't spot anymore donks, so set a course back to camp to arrive early in the afternoon. The other guys weren't there, so had some lunch and read a book for a while.

A couple of hours later, Danny came walking into camp, and needed a drink of water, having exhausted his on a long walk of maybe 10 kms along the river, in a certain direction. He had sighted lots of crocodiles in the pools. After this he carried more water. In any case the River water was probably drinkable.

Later Phil arrived. Phil had hunted a series of waterholes East of the River, and had encounters some pigs and donkeys, which he had shot.

Phil decided to stay in camp that evening but Danny and I took the Landcruiser South then cut across to the River and hunt some new country down there. We left a bit late so drove in as far as reasonable then cut over to the River on foot. I quickly found Danny's footprints there, this was were he had walked that morning it seemed. There wasn't any game moving about so before it was dark we gave up and back to camp.

We had brought with a solar shower each, so a welcome warm shower and meal that night.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator 09/04/11 09:32 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 500Nitro   12/04/11 12:37 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   12/04/11 04:22 AM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   09/04/11 09:55 PM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 Ben   09/04/11 10:08 PM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   10/04/11 07:42 PM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 Cinghiale   10/04/11 08:31 PM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 Ben   10/04/11 09:44 PM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 12:08 AM
. * * Re: NT Ass Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 12:38 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 08:12 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 FATBOY404   11/04/11 08:28 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Ben   11/04/11 09:12 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 09:17 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 09:29 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 4seventy   12/04/11 02:21 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   12/04/11 08:24 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   12/04/11 08:31 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Ben   12/04/11 08:51 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 AkMike   13/04/11 02:01 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Matt_Graham   13/04/11 02:31 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 aromakr   16/05/11 03:58 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   22/10/19 07:17 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   24/10/19 12:42 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   13/04/11 02:36 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   13/04/11 02:42 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   13/04/11 02:45 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 CHAPUISARMES   13/04/11 07:09 AM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   13/04/11 09:31 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 AkMike   13/04/11 02:02 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Matt_Graham   13/04/11 03:19 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   13/04/11 09:30 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Ben   11/04/11 10:30 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 11:27 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 NitroXAdministrator   11/04/11 11:30 PM
. * * Re: NT Wild Ass (Donkey) & Pig Hunt 2010 Matt_Graham   11/04/11 11:57 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 14326

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com