Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

WesF
.224 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Montana
Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5.
      25/08/10 06:08 PM

I really wasn't sure where to put these photos, but I figured this would be as good a place as any. MY uncle recently gave this Remington model 8 to my dad. It had belonged to my grandfather before that. It was grandpa's crocodile gun. He shot several hundred as he traveled by boat along the rivers of the orient, or so goes the story. The rifle is a grade 5 and from the serial number, I believe it was made in 1911. I'm not sure how the original stock was broken, but I do know that grandpa did it. I recall asking him about it once when I was about 9 years old. Grandpa shook his head with a sad face and said "lets not talk about that son." The stock was repaired, but someone did a poor job of it.

Anyway, after my dad received the rifle from my uncle, he let me play with it for awhile. I was going to see if I could do anything to help the poor repair. After taking the stock off and looking at it, I didn't think I could make it safe to shoot again. I knew dad had a decent stick of walnut in his shop he'd been looking to make a shot gun stock out of. So while he and my mother went on vacation, I got that bit of wood and made a new stock for him. It was a surprise father's day gift.

I hope the men on these forums won't be too critical of what I've done. This is my first attempt at stock making and I made a lot of mistakes along the way. But, as a layman, I'm proud of what I've done and dad loved the surprise. It's safe to shoot now, if nothing else.

I still have the original wood and butt plate. Since it was obviously a modified gun now, I put a new butt plate on. I do plan on checkering it eventually with the original stock's pattern. But that will have to wait until I teach myself to checker a bit better than I am current able.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I sure have enjoyed playing with it for the past few months.

Wes.

Before 1

Before 2

After 1

After 2

After 3

After 4

After 5

Engraving

Edited by CptCurl (29/08/10 09:29 PM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. WesF 25/08/10 06:08 PM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. CHAPUISARMES   25/08/10 06:53 PM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. lancaster   26/08/10 01:10 AM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. Tatume   26/08/10 06:24 AM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. Paul   27/08/10 07:10 PM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. mehulkamdar   04/09/10 01:19 AM
. * * Re: Remington Mod. 8 in .35 rem. grade 5. rigbymauser   04/09/10 04:17 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5035

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com