Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet
      01/09/09 01:34 AM

.256 Win is based on the .357 Mag case.

Got no clues on the reason for different web thickness. Although two things strike me. Both thick webs are rifle cartridges and both have a smaller bottle neck. Don't know if there is any significance.

The weakness of the Martini Cadet or more correctly the BSA Francotte Martini:

1. weak extraction
2. small barrel tenon
3. difficult load geometry-entry angle

The common misconception is that the striker hole in a Rimfire cadet breech block is off center. It is not. As many as I have looked at I have never seen a Rimfire BSA with an off center striker or striker hole. The proper way is to simply adjusted the block height to lower the point of impact. No other changes are needed. Striker diameter is already correct. You may also need to adjust the load position. No MIG, No TIG, no facing off, No reheatreating.

The .thin side ..310 cadets do need their strikers modified and breech blocks bushed…the striker diameter being to large for smokeless powder use.

You will find the adjustment instructions buried in the LoC for Armorors of the Martini Henry. You can find them reprinted in several locations including in Ian Skennerton’ SAIS 15 on the Martini Henry.

Remember the Francotte is a Martini Henry with all the internal parts moved to a subframe, nothing more.

The thick side actions are generally rimfires. I don’t think I have seen a thick side centerfire. Some do enlarge the barrel tenon hole on the thick side, but I don’t feel the need.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet TilleyMan 17/08/09 09:35 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet Tatume   17/08/09 10:08 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet Otto   17/08/09 11:49 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet DarylS   18/08/09 02:05 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet xausa   18/08/09 05:16 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet DarylS   18/08/09 11:15 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet TilleyMan   18/08/09 11:53 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet DoubleD   18/08/09 01:46 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet TilleyMan   20/08/09 09:54 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet TilleyMan   31/08/09 09:16 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet DoubleD   01/09/09 01:34 AM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet TilleyMan   01/09/09 08:37 PM
. * * Re: Case taper, extraction... and the Martini Cadet DoubleD   01/09/09 11:37 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 13473

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com