Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt
      13/11/08 07:19 AM

I returned yesterday from my Zim elephant hunt.

I was originally scheduled to hunt late September into mid October but an hour after arriving in camp I was informed that my father had passed away and I returned home as quickly as possible.

My hunt was rescheduled for October 25th throught November 9th, the biggest block of time I could muster.

On quota were two tuskless cows and one trophy bull in Chewore South and two tuskless cows and a trophy bull in Makuti plus a leopard in Makuti. Because of time constraints, after success on the bull and one tuskless, we moved from Chewore South to Makuti. We killed two tuskless and an injured tusked cow and the bull in Makuti, but struck out on the leopard. We left him feeding, but we needed a couple more days for the moon rise and set to shift. We sat for him five times but he was coming at moon set which was middle of the night when we first set that bait but moving toward the morning. I also shot a kudu bull for bait and a very nice 2" horned grysbok, which is a real trophy.

PH was Rich Tabor for the whole trip. We stayed at Chifuti Safari's Angwe camp in Chewore South, which has been re-done since Chifuti took over the concession. Chifuti runs a first class operation and the camp was very nice. We stayed at Charlton McCallum Safari's camp in Makuti and it was a nice camp. We had the Angwe camp to ourselves and shared the Makuti camp with a hunter winding up his safari with Myles McCallum and another hunter hunting with Alan Shearing. Good company to share a camp with.

Temps ran from hot but pleasant to intensly hot, but never intolerably hot. We had no thermometer, but I'd guess temps peaked at maybe 115* on the hottest days, humidity was low, making it bearable so long as you kept drinking water and watching you salt and other electrolyte intake. I used one shot Gatoraide packages and kept the cramping at bay.

I'll post photos when I get them squared away.

JPK

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt JPK 13/11/08 07:19 AM
. * * Re: Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt DDouble   13/11/08 12:52 PM
. * * Re: Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt ozhunter   13/11/08 01:22 PM
. * * Re: Back from my Zim Elephant Hunt MarkR   13/11/08 03:00 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1757

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com