Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Looking for a holster

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Looking for a holster
      04/08/08 12:37 PM

Quote:

93x57,
If those are for grins and smilies, whats the real stuff like? i made my own and know the part about form fiting them-hell on the finish, wet the holsters and shove the greased handgun in , and hand bone it-great shape and retention, but the tannic acid is hell on the metal if protective coat is insufficient.What ts your advice on protection for metal?How do you shape/hand bone the holsters?
best
Axx

I have been making holsters, that is, ostly "one-offs" designed for specific guns for 25 years. I have never had a finish effected by the form fitting, and almost all of those guns were simple blue guns. And I don't even make much effort to oil them before fitting/boning them.

I use a gun in a holster every day, or nearly every day, in perfect weather and in total messess; dust {now}, rain, snow, sleet, etc.

Will the tanning acids effect a handgun left in a holster? Yes, over time they will, especially in a humid environment or if the gun or holster is wet when they are mated and then left together. But in practical terms, I do something occaisionally that seems to mitigate the problem...I clean the gun. And I don't store guns in holsters...or maybe I do. My .44 has been stuffed under the seat or in the bed of the Polaris Ranger or on my hip for a month now...

Here's my .44 with me yesterday, building a bear blind {hence the bolo}.

I do the following when making a holster for a friend, etc...

Upon finishing {after fitting, with the holster bone dry}. I SOAK it in in silicone spray. SOAK it. On a big rig, I'll use a whole can of silicone found in automotive stores. I let that dry maybe a week. It makes the leather almost feel like rubber. I leave it at this stage and just use it or...

Then, I heat the holster to 120 degrees F and ditto for the SnowSeal, and apply that liberally, allowing it to soak and dry-in.

Then...I use it. This last bit is the only thing that some folks never get to. I use stuff, wear it out, remake or make new, and don't mind a scuff here or there. I won't live forever on this planet, and neither will my holsters or guns. Wear indicates use. And that indicates experience.

Enjoy!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Looking for a holster Shackleton 05/03/08 02:06 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster DarylS   05/03/08 03:32 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster szihn   05/03/08 05:42 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster Shackleton   05/03/08 03:15 PM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster szihn   06/03/08 03:05 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster Tatume   06/03/08 04:24 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster eljefedouble   04/08/08 03:53 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster 9.3x57   04/08/08 12:37 PM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster bigmaxx   04/08/08 04:57 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster 9.3x57   06/03/08 03:25 AM
. * * Re: Looking for a holster 9.3x57   05/03/08 02:42 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2940

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com