Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A Savage 99 with History..

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> 'Classic' Firearms Photos & Archive

Brent
.224 member

Reged: 08/04/05
Loc: Iowa
Re: A Savage 99 with History..
      14/04/06 12:28 AM

Another 99 with history is a rifle owned by Paul Errington. I wonder how many people know him though. He was a student of Aldo Leopold, a founding leader of the USFW Coop Fish and Wildlife Research Unit (they are the ones that actually do much of the research on fish and game animals), he more or less invented the idea of compensatory mortality and coupled it to harvest of wildlife, and he also, like Leopold, wrote for the public, such books as "The Red Gods Call", "Of Men and Marshes", "A Question of Values".

Hunters everywhere, and most especially in the United States, probably have no idea of what they owe this guy.

I have, for years been hoping to purchase or get a museum to purchase his Model 99 deer hunting rifle which he used in Minnesota on multiple hunting trips. It is notched several times on the forend for each deer he killed. I believe it is a .30 caliber but I"m not sure. With provenance that is beyond dispute, what would any of you think it is worth? I sure woudl like to see this gun preserved and even displayed for the public (but where? The museum in Cody perhaps?).

You can read a brief essay on Errington at: http://www.nrem.iastate.edu/errington/bio.htm

Any thoughts?

Brent

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* A Savage 99 with History.. Marrakai 17/03/06 11:39 PM
. * * Re: A Savage 99 with History.. bulldog563   06/05/06 08:16 PM
. * * Re: A Savage 99 with History.. 9.3x57   04/01/08 01:59 PM
. * * Re: A Savage 99 with History.. ForrestB   18/03/06 04:23 PM
. * * Re: A Savage 99 with History.. Brent   14/04/06 12:28 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 11060

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com