Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs.
      22/01/13 07:10 PM

So then it came time to do some testing and with CFE 223 and the A Max's I did my 200 yd ladder testing with this result.

It seems I had loaded the no 10 shot at 31.4 rather than 32.4 going by the results but It was enough to set the paremeters for the next session

After another trial session I settled on 32.6 gn for an even 2700fps and while the wind was starting to effect the second shot string it is certainly more than encouraging for a light rifle. The velocity gain over the AR Grendel loading has made this a worthwhile project.

So for a minimal cost of NZ$1562 (US$1312) including the supressor (although I did have the Nikon on the shelf) I have got myself a light hill rifle that will perform up to and exceding what hoped for. I have also had a cast bullet mould made by Veral at LBT and will hope to get that into the 2300fps + range for inside 200 yds on the goats etc and a realy cheap plinking round. Had the mould made so that with the same seating stem setting I can go from the cast bullet to the A Max with out adjustment so have a very versatile and uncomplicated little cartridge for a wide range of aplications. With the New SST released to have the same shape and BC of the A max but with an inproved 'on game performance' then this is also a realistic 500 yd medium game round with the rifles ability to get it to the right place

Grendel beside a 127gn cast bullet in a Lapua 7.62x39 case necked to 6.5 and ready for fireforming, and the 123gn A Max in a Hornady Grendel fireformed case..

And I may just have to change my sig line

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. VonGruff 22/01/13 07:08 PM
. * * Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. VonGruff   22/01/13 07:10 PM
. * * Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. VonGruff   22/01/13 07:11 PM
. * * Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. Rule303   22/01/13 10:16 PM
. * * Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. DarylS   23/01/13 02:21 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2721

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com