Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Plainsgame in South Africa.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Plainsgame in South Africa.
      14/03/08 11:30 AM

Quote:

It seems like RSA would be the most logical location but all of the outfitters I've looked at don't offer these six animals. Of course, I've seen 4-5 but the sixth one always seems to not be included. First question - Can anyone here make some specific recommendations on who to contact about the animals listed? From what I've been able to gather, all but the Red Lechwe are indigenous to RSA, and in some weird way, this fact matters to me. In other words, I find trying to hunt animals in their original habitat range appealing and would take that into account when booking.

I haven't hunted any of the above in South Africa except for Limpopo Bushbuck.

Have a look at the Hunting Report searches. Even without buying the actual reports or subscribing, you can get an idea of the main outfitters hunting those species and the general locations.

Quote:

Third question - Would I be out of line in asking for some sort of documentation or evidence on the "pedigree" of an outfitters Bontebok herd? I have seen/read multiple accounts of some less-than-scrupulous (sic) outfitters crossing Blesbok with Bontebok and passing them off as pure. Along these lines, what should I look for as far as verifying a pure strain?

You're the customer, so if this is a concern, ask as many questions as you feel you need to.

From Ultimate Ungulate:
Quote:

Remarks

The bontebok (D. p. dorcas) and blesbok (D. p. phillipsi) are part of a confusing taxonomic muddle. Formerly both classified as subspecies of Damaliscus dorcas, the Smithsonian Institution has changed the classification of both to Damaliscus pygargus. However, this name has not completely infiltrated into current usage, with both 'species' still being placed under D. dorcas by certain taxonomists. The problem arises from their extreme genetic closeness - they look almost identical and could be (and have been) thought of as races. As with many South African species, the bontebok was once hunted to the brink of extinction by white settlers who viewed them as pests. Once reduced to just 17 wild individuals, the bontebok population has since grown, and over a thousand animals now live on preserves and game farms in their home land. The blesbok is now extinct in its native habitat, only surviving on game farms and in wildlife refuges. The population has increased to the point where they are commercially ranched for meat. The name bontebok comes from bont (Dutch) particolored and bok (Dutch) a buck. Bles (Dutch) a mark or blaze; bok (Dutch) a buck: alluding to the white blaze on the nose.

Going to be difficult, I think.

Good luck and hope your first safari is enjoyable.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Plainsgame in South Africa. pinotguy 13/03/08 05:24 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. NitroXAdministrator   14/03/08 11:30 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. NitroXAdministrator   13/03/08 01:36 PM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. NitroXAdministrator   14/03/08 11:10 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. NitroXAdministrator   14/03/08 11:20 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. Bramble   14/03/08 11:55 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. 375fanatic   14/03/08 07:54 PM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. pinotguy   14/03/08 11:33 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. AspenHill   13/03/08 05:38 AM
. * * Re: Plainsgame in South Africa. tophet1   13/03/08 01:15 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2232

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com