Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: English Style slings

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: English Style slings
      13/03/08 01:55 AM

I am NOT trying to cause a ruckus, but just giving my opinion.

I am a leatherworker and have a lot of experience with vegetable- and chromium-tanned leathers as well as rawhide. To each his own, but there is no way I would trust the weight of an expensive gun to a single thong for any length of time if used hard in various weathers, especially where wet, cold, hot and dry cycles will play their typical mayhem with the integrity of natural material.

There are many stronger ways of attaching a sling to a gun to keep it quiet, if quiet is the goal.

The constant need to inspect and replace such slings would not be worth the hassle to me, and I guess it wasn't to the original fellows either since these things essentially reside in the realm of historically-interesting but esoteric and obsolete gun accouterments.

I carry a gun every day in all weathers and I know the affect such have on a normal sling with stout means of attachment. Those thong-slings are really neat and interesting but personally, I might keep one as a display but wouldn't use one on a regular basis, not for my purposes anyway. For a fellow who spends a few weeks a year packing a gun, maybe they'd be fine but I want my rigging hell-for-stout, and these things don't appear to be.

Just my $.02, and worth what it cost you.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* English Style slings abosely 12/03/08 03:34 AM
. * * Re: English Style slings JTOMLINSON   13/03/08 12:09 AM
. * * Re: English Style slings 9.3x57   13/03/08 01:55 AM
. * * Re: English Style slings zimhunter   12/03/08 04:20 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2675

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com