Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles???
      24/12/07 11:56 AM

Quote:

How many vintage prewar hammerless Webley doubles are out there and what was their most common caliber?? Big Doubles or smaller calibers?

Larger calibres were the most popular for double rifles of that period.

I am interested particularly in the Webley output of Doubles and more specifically in 450/400-- but if the 450,470, etc, calibers had twice the numbers made then more may be encountered at a ?"better" price(guess I'm dreamin').

Even if they made more guns in those calibres, it would not make them less expensive. In fact just the opposite, due to the fact that the two you mentioned are the most popular.

Webley built alot of doubles for the trade especially for the "bought in" side of things. I think output was around 14,000 to 15,000 guns prior to WW1.

There’s a couple of different actions to note, the PHV-1 and the A&WC. The quick tell is the dolls head which on the PHV-1 is shaped like a spade, The A&WC is shaped like a spade but with the point clipped off and the lever round indexed to it. Both are considered screw grips in the “trade”, however, Webley refered to one as a screw grip and one as a 3rd bite, the PHV-1 being the later. The A&WC long bar with intercepting sears is possibly the best built action for the rigors of double rifles. Webley built for many firms, the gun makers gunmaker.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? hoppdoc 23/12/07 11:24 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? 400NitroExpress   26/12/07 05:11 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? Anonymous   24/12/07 11:56 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? 500Nitro   23/12/07 11:45 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? hoppdoc   24/12/07 01:00 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? 500Nitro   24/12/07 01:12 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? hoppdoc   24/12/07 02:09 AM
. * * Re: Most Common Calibers, Vintage Hammerless Doubles??? NE450No2   24/12/07 03:29 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1641

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com