Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Plan Need to manage sambar deer per Minister

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Paul
.400 member

Reged: 28/08/07
Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Re: New Plan Need to manage sambar deer per Minister
      29/11/07 09:53 PM

A worrying development, NitroX, and one that has come to the boffins' attention largely because of the Victorian Government's own actions.

The banning of foxhounds left the houndmen scratching for packs, whereby the old predation lapsed; the prohibition of hunting near certain towns left the deer havens to breed in. The winter closure of tracks means stalkers going way back will only shoot big stags, leaving the hinds to breed with impunity. The national parks' exclusion of hound-hunters makes this situation worse (though as a stalker, I am glad not to have to compete with them).

Admittedly the huge fires of the past few years have knocked back the herd but the perception that sambar are a problem still lies in the minds of the bureaucrats. In fact the excess of hinds may (this is matter of contention) have been redressed by stags fleeing the fires while hinds stayed to die with their calves.

Yes, deer can ringbark trees and eat stuff but are probably no worse for the country than fires, dingoes, foxes, loggers, trailbikers or SUV-driving flowersniffers. I shoot near every deer I can, and that's not many, but I have grave fears of letting governments declare them a pest. If that happens the spotlighting scumbags will suddenly get contracts as deer cullers ... and God know what happens after that.

- sambarman338

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* New Plan Need to manage sambar deer per Minister NitroXAdministrator 29/11/07 07:21 PM
. * * Re: New Plan Need to manage sambar deer per Minister watto   30/11/07 09:08 AM
. * * Re: New Plan Need to manage sambar deer per Minister Paul   29/11/07 09:53 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1991

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com