Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big bore project for a lefty

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
Re: Big bore project for a lefty
      17/11/07 12:59 AM

SubDoc

If one can still be found since their demise I would go for a Winchester Model 70 L/H safari Express, minimal conversion work will be rquired if you can pick up one in say .375H&H, the last versions I saw here in the U.K needed some tricking up as they came from the factory, a number of real quality issues going on which may partly have led to the demise of the make, but they do offer a realistically priced entry level rifle for a south paw, I have one myself in .330 Dakota and a .375 based upon the cloned Dakota 76 action again in L/h, several firend also have model 70's some l/h to which they have had some bedding work carried out and other than that use them as standard.

The action is perfectly suited to the .416 Rem and assuming a .532" bolt face model is used there would not need any opening up of the bolt face for the .416 Rem. Nicky Blunt of Tanzania uses a Proctor built lightweight Model 70 based .416 Rem for all his back up work both in Tanzania and CAR and rates it very much.

The Remington action would do at a pinch, many people use them perfectly well, although mostly in calibres sub .416, I always prefer the controlled feed type actions for calibres .375 and up, although push feed will work just fine if the rifle is set up to feed correctly. At the end of the day it is a case of pay your money and take your choice, but if it were me and if the option of ordering say a modern made Mauser Clone such as a Prechtl or Hartmann and Weiss in left hand were financially not an option, then I would plumb for a Winchester.

Just my thoughts.

Jonathan

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Big bore project for a lefty SubDoc 12/11/07 02:05 PM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty JTOMLINSON   17/11/07 12:59 AM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty taw1126   17/11/07 01:49 AM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty 9.3x57   17/11/07 07:19 AM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty wellplugger   28/11/07 09:47 AM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty SubDoc   29/11/07 01:54 PM
. * * Re: Big bore project for a lefty Shackleton   12/11/07 02:50 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1973

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com