Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Modern designs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: Modern designs
      23/10/07 03:36 PM

Quote:

Dear Plains99,

To take your second question first, the area where I hunt is not densely populated. The shots I take are downhill or into a hillside, and pose no risk. The county just has too many politicians.

Frequently I'm posed with 200-yard shots, and the rifle I'm using has a 200-yard point blank range. When I can get closer I do, but it's not always possible. While I have killed deer at 200 yards with my H&R UltraSlug 12 ga rifle using Federal 2 3/4" Premium slugs with Barnes bullets, 150 yards is the practical limit for that gun. Some time ago I stopped taking longer shots with it, when I realized that paper ballistics notwithstanding, it was not up to the job. This was my motivation for having the modern muzzleloader built. (Interestingly, the Barnes .500" 325 gr bullet performs perfectly at 200 yards, and only at this range can one be recovered from a deer.)

The Barnes 300 gr .458 X-bullet will not come apart at 2700 fps, and it performs very well at lower speeds. Barnes says it needs 1800 fps to expand reliably, but the last one I used was probably slower than that at impact, and made a fist-sized exit hole. Also, the Sierra 300 gr .4515" pistol bullet is very "hard" and holds together well.

Accuracy of my rifle is sub-MOA, and it is very comfortable to shoot. Working with cutting-edge technology is very satisfying, as much so as working with 1800s technology; just different.

Take care, Tom

Whats the point?? You are hunting with ML in name only.

I would rather stalk than snipe, its almost always possible to get to 100 yards of deer even where I live. The is especially true if the area is hilly. Part of the hunting with a ML is the stalking within the limited range.

So far as your HV jacketed bullet "ML" being "legal". It shouldn't be in an area closed to CFs. If its dangerous to shoot a centerfire in this area then its dangerous to shoot this thing. Its not just aimed fire and the bullets that strike their target. What about an accidental discharge killing someone a mile or more away???
This is irresponsible. Its "I can fool the system" attitudes of this sort that get areas closed to all firearms hunting.
I keep hoping that the regulators in areas like this will wake up to the ballistics of conical bullet MLs.

Dan

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Modern designs Tatume 15/10/07 05:57 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Plains99   15/10/07 11:35 PM
. * * Re: Modern designs Tatume   16/10/07 01:52 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Dphariss   23/10/07 03:36 PM
. * * Re: Modern designs Tatume   24/10/07 12:16 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Plains99   24/10/07 01:19 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs mehulkamdar   24/10/07 11:19 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Plains99   27/10/07 12:20 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Tatume   07/01/08 01:00 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs mehulkamdar   17/10/07 10:50 AM
. * * Re: Modern designs Plains99   16/10/07 02:32 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2328

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com