Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed?
      20/08/07 03:36 AM

I think 200 mm is overkill. The Noske Field Scope, a handmade scope made in the '30's, had 6" (150mm) of eye relief and was specifically designed to allow the scope to be mounted in front of the bolt handle on unaltered Mausers and Springfields. I have several of these scopes which I have used extensively on bolt rifles up to and including .577 caliber and I find them ideal.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but trying to align the pupil of my eye even with a relatively large exit pupil (probably no more than 12mm with a 1" straight tube scope) at more than 6" seems a pretty difficult task.

I know that they're unfashionable now, but several of my favorite hunting scopes, including the Noske, have 22mm diameter tubes (Lyman Alaskan, Zeiss and Hensholdt Zielklein) and I find them completely adequate for all but the most extreme hunting conditions. They have the further advantage of being capable of being mounted extremely low, right on the line of sight for iron sights.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Kano 19/08/07 03:01 PM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? xausa   20/08/07 03:36 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Tatume   20/08/07 06:14 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? NE450No2   20/08/07 02:30 PM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? vigillinus   25/08/07 11:19 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? vigillinus   26/08/07 10:14 AM
. * * Re: Scope features needed if new DG scope was developed? Tatume   19/08/07 10:08 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2750

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com