Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter?
      13/07/07 01:01 AM

Having read the whole string, I find I agree with some and disagree with others! In some cases, with the same person, on different issues.

My preference is for the boxlock, with side plates. This is because My double rifles are for hunting, and IMO, the boxlock, in most cases, is a stronger system. This depends on some different ways the locks are made, but generally stronger, as far as going, “off face”,from flexing. If the locks are drop locks, with a barr sprung tumblers, the box lock is weaker than a box lock with the springs aft, as on a trigger plate, called a BLITZ lock in Germany. These usually have coil springs today, and far less steel is removed from the action body, than the barr action, where both leaf springs, and cocking levers have to be fitted within the steel of the barr. In all cases, other than the BLITZ lock, and true sidelock is much easier to fit, and time than a boxlock. This is because the lock plate is made, and fitted to the action, and stock first. Then the plate is bolted down to a solid stand, and the rest id fitted in the open. This gives the maker a freer access, to the fitting of all the parts of the lock, reducing bench time. The boxlock, OTH, has to be assembled, tried, dis-assembled, and honed, re-assembled, tried, dis-assembled, and so on, and so on! IOW, the boxlock is more work intensive, than the sidelock.

None of this has to do with the so-called “BEST” gun/rifle. That is a total fit & finish from raw steel to selection, and fitting of wood, not the type of action. It is true however, that all, or at least, most, BEST guns/rifles are sidelocks. That , however doesn’t mean the gun/rifle, is necessarily a better firearm, from a use standpoint, or that one is somehow stronger than the other. Like the boxlock, the sidelock can be stronger, or weaker, depending on the type of side lock that is fitted. If the sidelock is a forward sprung type, it makes the action bar weaker, if the side lock is a back action lock, then the stock is weaker, just the same as the boxlock.

IMO, the boxlock action body, with a blitz lock system,utilizing coil springs, with all locking fasteners being the same and faux side plates is the strongest system. The trigger plate locks, are fitted into the action body with less steel being removed, and the wood has less removed, while the faux side plates, clamp the wood in the head tightly sandwiched between the plates. The locks are easily removed for maintenance. If this rifle was finished, as well as the so-called best gun/rifle, IMO, it would certainly be a better, stronger, gun/rifle, that the “BEST” gun with true side locks!

Of course all this is only one man’s opinion, and open to disagreement, without opposition!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? edmhunter 12/07/07 03:58 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? rigbymauser   13/07/08 01:15 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? Birdhunter50   13/07/08 12:25 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? mehulkamdar   13/07/08 02:52 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? DUGABOY1   13/07/07 01:01 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? JPK   13/07/07 11:18 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? mehulkamdar   12/07/07 10:59 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? mehulkamdar   12/07/07 11:25 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? Anonymous   12/07/07 04:55 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? enfieldspares   12/07/07 06:29 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? 400NitroExpress   13/07/07 03:44 PM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? 577express   12/07/07 08:25 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? enfieldspares   12/07/07 09:07 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? 400NitroExpress   13/07/07 04:08 PM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? unspellable   14/07/07 04:16 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? bonanza   14/07/07 11:25 PM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? empirevr   12/07/07 06:50 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is better? 3sixbits   12/07/07 06:59 AM
. * * Re: Sidelock vs boxlock which is beter? empirevr   12/07/07 04:20 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 7346

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com