Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles??
      14/05/07 01:33 AM

Quote:

I don't consider the 'best gun' a maker makes as necessarily a 'Best Gun'.

There is much more work internally than externally, if you deduct the time for engraving in a 'Best Gun". They are as close to perfect as a gun or rifle can be and not every, nor most, gunmakers are capable of doing it.

In todays world many of the "new" doubles are produced using CNC machines with the final process done by hand.

There is no way in terms of todays dollars, the average individual looking for a double could afford what it would cost to produce a weapon like that. Which is why Merkel, Krieghoff, Searcy, etc are able to sell their guns for the prices they do. I am not saying these guns are inferior or bad in any way, just saying they are not made almost exclusivly by hand like they were in the early 1900's.

Anyone who has handled a "Best" gun can certainly attest to the difference in feel. They seem to point by themselves, vitually having a will of their own..

Ripp

I agree with everything RIP has to say here. I edited his post in the above quote, not to change his meaning, but simply to retain only the points I want t address!

The "best gun" name of any maker is not the best gun one can buy, but is what the makers consider "HIS" best effort.

On the note about the CNC comment, all, every, maker today uses the CNC mechines to do the bulk of the cutting of unwanted steel away. The difference bewteen most of the top makers, and Merkel Chapuis, Searcy, and the others is, the AMOUNT of final finishing of the HAND work after the CNC is through. Finally the seemingly self pointing is not limited to only "best guns" or British makes, but is the result of fitting the shooter, and perfect ballance. I have several German doubles that exibit the very same qualities as the Britt "BEST GUN" handleing. This in very plain working firearms. I have a little German H. BERELLA double that is as well ballanced, and with the fit and finish as good as any Britt gun I've ever handled, BEST, or otherwise! The side locks when removed look like fine clock work and the inletting into the rifle, and wood is so precice that it forms a suction when removed, and everything finished INSIDE, like the best I've ever seen. This is a double I paid $125 for 40 years ago, because ammo was not available for it, and the owner had brought it back from the WWII, as a souvineer, and had never fired it. Still with the care this double was made, it will not bring the price that a Britt of the same level would, not even close, so all the value in a "BEST GUN" is not quality, but buyer perception!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? hoppdoc 12/05/07 05:17 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? DUGABOY1   12/05/07 08:35 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? mickey   12/05/07 10:03 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? Ripp   13/05/07 11:43 PM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? DUGABOY1   14/05/07 01:33 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? mehulkamdar   15/05/07 08:58 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   14/05/07 01:35 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? Ripp   14/05/07 05:21 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? hoppdoc   14/05/07 11:34 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   15/05/07 08:01 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   14/05/07 05:25 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? mickey   14/05/07 02:08 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? DUGABOY1   14/05/07 01:56 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   14/05/07 02:15 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   14/05/07 02:19 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? empirevr   14/05/07 02:53 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? DUGABOY1   14/05/07 05:11 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? hoppdoc   12/05/07 09:42 PM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? dnovo   12/05/07 10:25 PM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? Marrakai   12/05/07 11:41 PM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? hoppdoc   13/05/07 02:40 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? 500Nitro   12/05/07 05:58 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? mehulkamdar   12/05/07 12:17 PM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? dnovo   12/05/07 07:58 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? 500Nitro   12/05/07 09:02 AM
. * * Re: "Best " Quality Doubles vs other Doubles?? dnovo   12/05/07 09:48 AM

Extra information
4 registered and 110 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6637

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com