Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: More experts on this board now

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

jpb
.224 member

Reged: 23/01/04
Loc: northern Sweden
Re: More experts on this board now
      26/01/04 04:50 AM

I won't claim to be any expert but I do have a .358 Norma Magnum.

I like it a lot. I shoot a lot of cheap pistol bullets for practice, and many cast bullets from the legions of bullet molds intended to make pistol bullets.

If you want a varmint load, well you can't imagine how destructive a 125gr Hornady hollowpoint intended for revolver velocities can be when pushed to 3200fps (faster and they come apart in the air!). Muzzleblast and flash is fierce, but recoil is light. Just don't shoot that at anything you want to eat or use the skin from!

The Woodleigh bullets are good, but at the full velocities possible in the .358 Norma they can overexpand and penetration is reduced. Woodleigh recommends slowing them down a tad (i.e. 2600fps instead of 2800fps). However, if you subscribe to the "expend all the energy in the critter" is better school of though, then the 250gr Woodleigh will expand right down to the base without fragmenting (it won't exit a moose when it does though).

I make cases from whatever belted magnum case I have a surpus of, although a few like the 7mm Rem Mag will result in a slightly short neck (still work OK). 300 Win Mag is the best source of cases because you can size'em to headspace on the shoulder and avoid the case stretch that happens if you use other brass that headspaces on the belt.

Premium bullets are recommended because of the velocity (as noted above), and don't pay any attention if somebody comments on the low setional density of bullets for this calibre compared to the .338 Win Mag -- it takes a BIG critter to stop a 250gr Barnes X-bullet or Rhino bonded bullet in .358!

There is no real disadvantage if you are a handloader. If you are not, then I would NOT get a .358 Norma Magnum.

It does all a .338 Win mag will do, has many more cheap bullets to practice with, and makes a bigger hole!

Oh, I will admit after all that there is a disadvantage: recoil is noticeable! My .358 Norma kicks worse than my .375 H&H Mag, but I'm sure that will change when I finish restocking my Norma!

jpb

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* More experts on this board now gryphon 24/01/04 08:51 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now 4seventy   26/01/04 10:45 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now jpb   27/01/04 04:16 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now Dark_Helmet   28/01/04 05:40 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now atkinson6   28/01/04 09:56 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now jpb   26/01/04 04:50 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now gryphon   26/01/04 06:03 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now jpb   26/01/04 06:36 AM
. * * Re: More experts on this board now jpb   26/01/04 06:39 AM
. * * .350 Rigby Magnum & .358 Norma Magnum NitroXAdministrator   24/01/04 10:43 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6985

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com