Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Origins of the Double Rifle??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Origins of the Double Rifle??
      14/03/07 05:54 AM

Quote:

I was discussing the origins of the double rifle with a mate of mine today, but we have no idea as to whether our ideas are correct..or even close

We were thinking that the idea of two barrels originated as a method to get a repeater, probably from muzzle loading days.

Most think the muzzle loading double shotgun, was first, but IMO, that is backwards! I believe it is more likely that the first doubles were smooth bore muskets, that were primarily intended for ball, than shot, though both were used. It is more likely the double muskets were loaded and carried with ball, than with shot, because you would have need of a second quick shot for large animals than you would with birds, or small game, and the ball would act as protection against enemies better than shot! One of the first double RIFLES was an American thing in the form of a swivel barreled flint lock RIFLE, used in the colonies for hunting, and protection frm Indians. Many of the shotguns of that time were single barrels.

Quote:

As time moved on and the repeater became available those repeaters were not able to handle the very large cartridges.

The value of the double rifle as a DG gun was not part of the original design but rather something that became obvious at a later date, that is, when being compared to bolt actions.

I think the double rifle came along long before the repeaters, and by the time the Percussion cap took over from the flintlock, most double rifles were no longer seen much, because of the speed of loading, and the comparitively long range of the long rifles. War weapons were still smooth bore till around the civil war in the colonies, and the big single shots had gone to the cape of good hope settlers in Africa, and india. These were very large bore guns, for very large animals in Africa, and in the colonies, we didn't need any thing other than a rifle that would kill a moose, or bear, and that could usually be done at longer range, so the single barrels cought hold here in the states, while The Britts started to buils double rifle, for the INDIA, and AFRICA holdings, where very large dangerous aniimals, and spear yealding locals were a worry!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Origins of the Double Rifle?? Mike_McGuire 12/03/07 03:49 PM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? DUGABOY1   14/03/07 05:54 AM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? Mike_McGuire   18/03/07 08:52 PM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? oupa   21/03/07 01:33 PM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? unspellable   15/03/07 10:02 AM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? DUGABOY1   15/03/07 02:32 PM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? NitroXAdministrator   18/03/07 03:57 AM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? DUGABOY1   23/03/07 03:54 AM
. * * Re: Origins of the Double Rifle?? vigillinus   29/03/07 06:09 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 84 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 3263

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com